Thread: *** October Challenge - They Draw and Travel ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default *** October Challenge - They Draw and Travel ***

This month we're running a challenge with a slight twist. There's a great site called They Draw and Travel that features maps of locations around the world. The maps range from highly detailed to very abstract. They nominally focus on real locations, but a quick flick through the maps on there shows that the range of what's allowed is very broad. The one thing that's true of all the maps:

None of them are from the Guild!

This month's challenge is to create a map in the format of a They Draw and Travel map. Whether you decide to submit your map at the end is entirely your choice. If you'd rather stick to the format, but draw a totally fictional location, you are welcome to do so.

The image requirements for the maps are:

Quote Originally Posted by They Draw and Travel
    ARTWORK REQUIREMENTS
    Map Size
    16.667" wide x 6.25" high
    (a.k.a. 423.34mm wide x 158.75mm high or 5000px wide x 1875px high)

File Type
    300 dpi JPG in RGB color (this is VERY important)

Things We Love to See in a Map
    Places you will NOT find in a guidebook, attractions that aren't going to go away (parks, museums, neighborhoods, beaches), text written in the native language of the place (or English if you're not from there), and especially...places YOU like to go and things YOU like to do!

One Thing to Remember
    We're already publishing one book for They Draw and Cook (available October 2011) and we plan to publish a collection of maps for a They Draw and Travel book too! So, if you want your map to be considered for publication, please try to be mindful of the gutter.

This challenge will end on the 26th of October, with voting running until the 31st. Good luck everyone!

Wow. Some of those folks *should* be here. Interesting challenge. It made me go "hmmm" at first but I'll see if I can join in. Not sure I really grok it...but I'm interested to see what people come up with.
    M

Well, this is interesting ... I'll see if I can rustle something up as well

Blog Entries

Sounds intriguing. I'd love to finally pull my finger out and actually take part and finish one of these things. Might give it a go if I can clear up a few things in the next week.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Novice

Awesome challenge. That site is super cool!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

yeah I entered a map for they draw and travel - they had a contest a few months ago, winner got like 1,000 US Dollars. I didn't even place. the problem was that all the judges were looking for "artsy" work, and the winners weren't even real traditional maps. they were just like collages of points of interest. Anyway, this will be a good challenge. If I have time, i may rework my entry and sumbit.

Here's what I did.
    http://www.theydrawandtravel.com/map...lina-rob-beals

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a fantastic entry!

I've been in touch with the guys at TDAT and they're totally up for this - including some cross-site promotion. So I hope I can get some time to put together a proper entry.

Yeah, I saw your entry Rj...I think it's a fantastic map. Some of those other entries aren't even remotely maps, even in the most abstract sense. It's still a very cool site though.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio