Blog Entries

Default Hexbased Star Map Style Test

First very simple version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sector-tiny-hexes.png 
Views:	491 
Size:	323.0 KB 
ID:	38913

Yes, screw the third dimension, it just gets in the way. ;-)

Guild Journeyer

Hey, this is pretty accurate too!
    I am a geology nerd.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Update.

Name:	sector-tiny-hexes-002.png 
Views:	483 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	38917

I am not sure I like the gray hexes, it kind of works though. A hex is 5 ly, btw. cantab -thnaks, but the position of those systems is very guesstimated. At best.

Nice. Very Traveller. I'm assuming this *is* Traveller from the red lines and font? Or are you just going for that style?
    M

Blog Entries

It's Traveller-ish, yes, but not the OTU. I am still trying to work out how to map a galactic empire en detail, while being reasonably plausible, and above all, playable. It's a very, very difficult thing to accomplish, and the more I work on it, the more I understand the design decisions behind the original Traveller setup.

At 5ly to the hex, and simply ignoring the z-Axis, I get a lot more than one system per hex. Even if I pick just some "convenient" and/or "famous" stars it's still quite crowded. I can reduce this to a star a hex by a lot of pruning, I guess, but then I still need bigger hexes or very small symbols and fonts, and then it gets hard to read on paper. If I pick bigger hexes, mapping larger territories will take a lot more paper.

This is what I mean:

Name:	sector-tiny-hexes-003.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	38923

Messy.
    Last edited by bartmoss; 10-03-2011 at 02:55 AM.

Well, hexes are primarily a convention used in gaming to regulate movement (and quickly judge distance, LoS, etc.) If they're not doing you any good for that purpose (e.g. you're getting multiple systems per hex or something) then they're not much use to you. You could ditch them altogether...though I assume you want them since they're in the title of the thread!

Or, what about using 1 ly hexes? You're pretty sure to only get one system per hex that way (assuming you take some liberties when considering stars with similar x and y but different z coords). It makes for a bigger map, of course, and messier. Seems like the original Traveller hexes were 1 pc?

Another possibility: number the hexes and leave the system labels off the map, putting them into a separate key instead. That would clean it up a bit. If you had two systems in a hex you could note that in the key. Just a thought. I frankly like my labels to be on the map, but this worked for pretty well for GDW.

I really dig your avatar. Mistakenly clicked on your username when trying to click on the thread title the first time I looked here...when I saw your avatar I got excited that you were doing a hex map in that style or something (yeah, I notice now that it's an octagon!) What if you made it with really large hexes, containing multiple systems on different elevations? If you did it like your avatar it'd sure be nice to look at.
    M

While I 've never tried to build a 3D star map, I've considered creating a color coded 'depth guide', using ROYGBIV where red is closest to map view, and violet is furthest away. The hexes themselves have lines colored for the appropriate depth. Even if most of your systems are within the same 'red' zone, systems further away have varying colors to denote depth from the front plane of the map. Although as stated, I've never tried this (never been interested star maps anyway), it does seem to be able to be used for depth. (But then all the different color hexes could make the map complicated to read.)
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Well, hexes are primarily a convention used in gaming to regulate movement (and quickly judge distance, LoS, etc.) If they're not doing you any good for that purpose (e.g. you're getting multiple systems per hex or something) then they're not much use to you. You could ditch them altogether...though I assume you want them since they're in the title of the thread!
    Yes, this is an exploration in possible Travelleresque star maps. I could just go with a 2d map at a an arbitrary resolution and be done with it; but hexes ARE a fairly convenient method to work with distances.

Or, what about using 1 ly hexes? You're pretty sure to only get one system per hex that way (assuming you take some liberties when considering stars with similar x and y but different z coords). It makes for a bigger map, of course, and messier. Seems like the original Traveller hexes were 1 pc?
    Yeah, Traveller had 1pc.

I thought of using 1ly, it'll give much more detail than Traveller had - though you'd still have to lose the z-Axis of course. It will limit the total size of the entire are covered though.

Another possibility: number the hexes and leave the system labels off the map, putting them into a separate key instead. That would clean it up a bit. If you had two systems in a hex you could note that in the key. Just a thought. I frankly like my labels to be on the map, but this worked for pretty well for GDW.
    Yes, thought of that. Didn't like it, because the map loses a lot of essential information that way.

I really dig your avatar. Mistakenly clicked on your username when trying to click on the thread title the first time I looked here...when I saw your avatar I got excited that you were doing a hex map in that style or something (yeah, I notice now that it's an octagon!) What if you made it with really large hexes, containing multiple systems on different elevations? If you did it like your avatar it'd sure be nice to look at.
    M
    Thanks, and, I can oblige you I think. Just a quick mockup of course:

Name:	sector-tiny-hexes-003-a.png 
Views:	297 
Size:	354.6 KB 
ID:	38927Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text5765.png 
Views:	629 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	38928

I don't like black background maps though. As art pieces, yes, but not for actual use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    While I 've never tried to build a 3D star map, I've considered creating a color coded 'depth guide', using ROYGBIV where red is closest to map view, and violet is furthest away. The hexes themselves have lines colored for the appropriate depth. Even if most of your systems are within the same 'red' zone, systems further away have varying colors to denote depth from the front plane of the map. Although as stated, I've never tried this (never been interested star maps anyway), it does seem to be able to be used for depth. (But then all the different color hexes could make the map complicated to read.)
    Yeah, I've seen a lot of attempts to do 3d maps. None of them really work. Colors are always a problem because there are a lot of color blind people out there (10% of all males had red green color blindness). IMO easy solutions are best; just note z-Axis in brackets near the star name label and you're done. For any actual game-play, though, I am beginning to think that the z-Axis adds more hassle than it is worth.

Blog Entries

And a test with a grid=1ly basis.

Name:	sector-tiny-grid-001.png 
Views:	307 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	38935
    Doesn't quite have the abstract "feel" of a hexmap... making the lack of a z-Axis more jarring, IMO.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I actually like the gray hexes the best, it was the most legible and easiest on the eyes of the various versions you posted.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast