Thread: Fantasy map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Fantasy map

I am looking for several maps all in the same fantasy world (sword & sorcery). I have made a few distressing attempts with photoshop on my own and it is plain that I simply do not have the abilities needed for what I want. I happened on this site while searching for some simple map making software and without being too dramatic - hope sprang anew.

I have been in the process of writing a fantasy novel series and desperately need some maps to help me with my ever-changing timeline. I have copied and pasted the questions from the 'Requesting a map? Read me' below:

Time Constraints

I have (once again) tossed out all but the roughest drafts of my story and so a deadline is not my strictest concern. I suppose it would be nice to have the maps by the end of the year but I am not certain how long it takes to make a map so I would likely defer to your suggestions.

Style

If you have ever seen the map in the front of a fantasy novel - that is the style that I am looking for Hand drawn look?

Description of Map

The world is roughly earth-sized and I will be working mainly with one continent and several close islands but the whole world will consist of 5 major continents, several large islands and numerous smaller islands. Again, since I am (re-)beginning much of the story can be arranged around the new map.

In the end, I would like to have: 1. world map marking territories/kingdoms, capitols, large cities, mtn ranges, rivers, forests, roads, landmarks etc. 2. more detailed city maps for the major cities showing the layout of the roadways, palace and inns, etc. 3. floorplans of several of the major buildings (keeps/palaces/etc) if possible.

Much of the placement can be decided by the cartographer; I can either give a list of most of the 'names of things' before or after the map is finished although, if there is a way - I would like the ability to change them if needed?

Quality & Size

I am looking for professional quality as if the novels ever are completed, I would very much like to print at least the world map in the books.
    I would also like to be able to print, for myself, a rather large copy of the world map - say, 3ft x 6ft or whatever the dimensions work out to be.

Copyright

I am not entirely sure whether I would need the copyrights to the maps or not... is it possible to leave that open and purchase the copyright later if it is needed?

These two below sound more along the lines of what I would need:
    I would like reproduction rights to the map
    I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

I am, of course, willing to pay what I can for the work although I have no idea how much something like this should cost so, please email me with questions or offers or suggestions...

Thanks a lot for considering and for any advice that you might have!
    -Jenny
    Last edited by RobA; 10-30-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Jenny-

Your post was caught in moderation but I approved it.

You do not have access to private messages until 5 posts here (because of spammers) and we have emailing turned off for privacy. Interested parties will probably start posting here and provide you with contact information.

I'll be the first I've done a number of B&W novel maps. Please see my portfolio link as well as the link to my finished maps (both in the sig below) and if interested in my style, please contact me either via the contact form on my website or via email at RobA (at) cartocopia (dot) com

THanks,

-Rob A>

Thanks a lot Rob,

I recall reading about the e-mail/spam issue, now. I should have listed this in my original post so, following your example; my e-mail address is jennylinnmcclure (at) hotmail (dot) com. I will definitely take a look at your website as well - this is all very exciting, some of the maps that I have seen just browsing around here are absolutely amazing.

Thanks again
    -Jenny

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

normally you wont need copyright to the map as long as you have the right to use them commercially. ... sounds like a huge project you're planning
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thank tilt, that helps a lot. Copyright seems ridiculously complicated (to one who has only the barest knowledge - that being that it does exist )
    Oh yes, huge, overwhelming, engulfing even - a good time will be had by all; well, all is myself and what comes out of my mind so... Even if I never publish a single word, it will have been well worth it, time and tears included.

Blog Entries

I'm also interested in this project, you can see my galleries here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=9958 and here: http://hai-etlik.deviantart.com/gallery/10457186

You can email me at username:haietlik hostname:draconic.ca

I'm interested as well - hand-made maps are some of my favourites.

Some here: http://lukc.deviantart.com/gallery/26189392

And this is a sampler I'm working on at present (it's not finished yet): http://prekomorec.blogspot.com/2011/...a-ad-2011.html (admittedly it's a real world map, nothing fantasy about it) and here's one I finished today instead: http://lukc.deviantart.com/art/Fire-in-Ice-262688768 ... although I'll be the first to admit it's just a roughie .
    Last edited by Lukc; 10-10-2011 at 09:40 AM.

I am sorry for my lag to a few of you, I have had some computer issues this past week. I really appreciate everyone's help and interest, I have asked one of your members to create the maps for me and assuming that he accepts I will 'close the request' (?) -once I figure out how one would go about that.

Once again, thank you all so much.