Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Arden - A Fantasy/Dystopian World Map] Critiques welcome

Now that looks fantastic, and as I am also trying to achive that Atlas Major look, I am very interested to see how this developes.
    (For all of those who don't yet own this fantastic peace of cartographic art: http://www.amazon.com/Joan-Blaeu-Atlas-Maior-1665/dp/3836524112/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317895959&sr=8-1 )

I don't know how closely you will be following the Blaeu style... but don't you think your impressive mountains will be a little too dominating?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Help

Some mention a Forest Generator. Euere can i find it?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

It's called Tree Thing, you'll find it there:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ight=Treething

But It won't fit your style imo, but still, it's a very good tool. At least, Ramah makes awesome maps with it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    At least, Ramah makes awesome maps with it
    Actually, other than one map (on which I did one deciduous forest and all the evergreen forests with the program - the rest I did by hand) I haven't used Treething myself. :S
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Novice

Schwarzkreuz dein Bergen sind wirchlich toll mein freund - when you're done with the map (and not before - you've got enough to do as it is) if you could load them as brushes that would be really appreciated

Well I will try single trees, I have draw 38 single trees, of different kinds. I hoope this will make it. i am still unsure about forest masses, if its looking wierd with this. I have whole landscape of the size of A4 on the map covered with trees. But I dont want to do things digitals and to render them offline all would surely kill my hand. Hmmm I also did, farmland, dessert (just dots), rocky land, Grasland. I think I will overdue it with my icons.... too much.

UPDATE:

I start to hate trees..... the makingmaps.net Stylelist gives me plenty of Ideas... too much. My deathline runs till Monday nicht, so well I give my best.
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 10-07-2011 at 05:57 AM.

After 3h of digitalisating and drawing brushes for my map I finaly realise that I am about to create ca. 500 - 600 Brushes. I als realised that there is a danger to lost track of what was what, becouse the preview of brushes in PS CS3 is still crap and disturd the form of the brushes to squares. Did anyone have experiences hoe to manage such an Moloch-Brushes-Set? I feel dizzy under the expection to handle this stuff.

Yep, I know I got weird problems....

EDIT: By the way I hope I dont spam to much here? Its for me to keep track of my stream of coincesness and a Devellopers diary in a kind. I have to write a documentary for my projects so I am a lil bit overloading this thread without posting images so regulary, I hope this is ok?
    Last edited by Schwarzkreuz; 10-07-2011 at 07:22 AM.

It looks very promising! Good luck on your deadline

Honestly, this is the type of thing I would hope to see (assuming B/W only.. though color would be great if possible!) in a good novel. I am quite disappointed when I read a book that has exploration elements but no map!! Anyway, those mountains are just superb!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Stream-of-consciousness posting is just fine here, I do it all the time. I know that I can always come back to a certain thread and read the things that I have put down and never fear for losing them or forgetting them. Plus, it also lets others into my way of thinking and seeing and sometimes they spot things I overlook - so it's like feedback for when I screw up.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast