Default Cuvie - New revised edition

Critism thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cuvie-final.jpg 
Views:	3482 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	38947

This looks pretty cool!

It looks great, but I think there's not enough variation between darks and lights. I ran it though photoshop, and converted it to greyscale. As you can see from the images below, you were using a very compressed tonality (not sure if this was intentional).

In the brighter image, I adjusted the darks and lights on the histogram using the levels adjustment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuvie_01.jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	281.1 KB 
ID:	38948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cuvie_02.jpg 
Views:	2238 
Size:	595.0 KB 
ID:	38949  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I like the Landmasses, its looking like the innersea will be a very troublesome area of borderdisputes between the seanations. Is there more info about this somewhere?

And i also agree with Ravells, contrast are important to distinguesh features and add to the atmo.

Default ..

Hey Ya'll, glad you like it

I did the colours very subtle on purpose, I like to pull out the effect of a matte-papyrus-like style.
    -Maybe you can you tell me a bit more about that greyscale stuff, not sure I get entirely what you mean?

About the innersea and sea-nations.. This is a map for my world (for GURPS rpg) which I will release when finished.

If you want subtle colours it maybe worth a try to desaturate them? It depends on the effect you want I suppose...what software are you using?

Not sure what you mean about a matte-papyrus-like style..but there's no paper texture to the map so far as I can see...so I guess I'm a bit confused about that.

I made the map grayscale to have a quick look at the b/w histogram!

Attached is a desaturated version of the map with a texture (not sure you could call it papyrus though).

Please don't get me wrong - if you've got the look you're after, that's great! I was just checking!

best

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	matte.jpg 
Views:	856 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	38956  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Overall I like it, I did notice a few river violations (unless they are some sort of canals).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I don't think the low contrast is necessarily a problem. It makes the map seem a little bit gloomy, like a rainy day. It puts me in mind of some of Torq's work, actually.

There are definitely some river problems. I'll just call out a couple of them by way of example. There is a mountain range between Exylon and Swelawia that appears to have a river that starts in the foothills, climbs up the mountain, and then runs back and forth across the mountains until it drains into a lake. You have quite a few rivers doing similar things, but less dramatically. Generally speaking, a river will seek out the low ground on the same side of the mountains that it starts on. In the case of this map, I'd say you just need to shorten each river so that its headwaters are closer to the place where it exits the mountains. That one running down the center of the mountain chain isn't necessarily a problem if it were starting about level with the S in Swelawia.

The river that runs through the Exylon label seems unlikely, too, since it's running roughly parallel to and close to a mountain range. Think of your mountains as a force pushing the river away from them. That river should probably run more in the center of that valley, perhaps with a couple of tributaries coming down out of the mountains to meet it. There are several other examples throughout the map where the rivers are running parallel to the mountains instead of seeking the lowest land.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hey great comments, that be. Really usefull!

I use photoshop btw