Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rivermill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Rivermill

This map I made using photoshop. It depicts a small village on the edge of a forest. Two rivers flow from mountains far to the east eventually draining into a marshy bog.

I originally began this project as an experiment to recreate forests similar to the ones found in the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 book, Cityscape. I didn't use any patterns, all the textured looks were created using the default filters. I also didn't use a wacom tablet, this was all with the mouse...

Hope its a worthy addition to the Cartographer's Guild.

Enjoy,
    -Leviathan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rivermill_Final.png 
Views:	419 
Size:	662.7 KB 
ID:	38979  
    Last edited by Leviathan62089; 10-05-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You're attachment doesn't seem to have worked correctly, you may want to try uploading it again.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

fixed the attachment, all is as it should be now.

Nice map! May I ask, how did you do the farm fields?

it was pretty easy, it started with the road layer. All that was was a brown and black color done up with the cloud filter, sprayed strokes and paint daubs. I set that layer up with a vector mask filled with black. I then used the pen tool to draw up the main shape and crop lines, stroked the path with small brush that had scattering and spacing settings. Then I added an inner shadow to the layer and altered it's blend mode and opacity. That was it...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's really nice. I might suggest turning down the contrast of the folds, they take a bit away from the detail for me.

I like the way you did the swamp!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

As CoyoteMax said, you might want to 'turn down' the highlights of the folds (especially the main hortizontal one). Otherwise a fine piece of work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

@ Coyotemax, I agree with you, problem is I flattened the image after adding the displacement... so to make the folds more natural I'd have to remake them, which isn't such a bad idea because after I had added the creases I did some burning and accidentally made the bottom swamp area too dark as well as the tress near the bottom left and top. by starting back before the creases I could take more care in preserving the colors a bit better. I would also like to lighten the text up a little, as while I was trying for a wooden barrel look it became a bit hard to see the text. Though, since I've already begun my next project, I'll have to split my time up. I may get to it today, maybe not, all depends on my mood.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

oooh flatten is the bane of my existence

according to your profile you're using photoshop - so i have a suggestion (that Ascension pointed out to me)

Instead of using Flatten, create a new layer on top of everything, then do Sht-Ctrl-Alt-E - that creates a flattened composite on the layer you just made, but doesn't flatten the file itself. Then you can run your effects on that, if they require a fully composited image...

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    oooh flatten is the bane of my existence

according to your profile you're using photoshop - so i have a suggestion (that Ascension pointed out to me)

Instead of using Flatten, create a new layer on top of everything, then do Sht-Ctrl-Alt-E - that creates a flattened composite on the layer you just made, but doesn't flatten the file itself. Then you can run your effects on that, if they require a fully composited image...
    And for the Gimp users - I'll point out the equivalent is Layer → New From Visible.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast