Thread: A Map of Knock-A-Notch Gap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map A Map of Knock-A-Notch Gap

I put this map together a month ago for a location my players are currently adventuring in and around in my Heva campaign. More functional than attractive, but I still think I manage to produce a nice looking image.

Guild Journeyer

While it doesn't have the textures and shading we ususally see here this map is a terrific example of clean lines and simple construction.

I guess it's saying something that the only problem I had was trying to find where location "C" was on the map.

I really like it a lot. I personally don't think that textures and shading need to appear on every map.

Agree with GlennZilla: Where is the C?

I really like the look of the trees. I like how they overlap.

Couple of things I didn't like:
    - The lines on the hillside that, to me, seem extraneous since you already use the contour lines to great effect.
    - The way the trees hang over the edge of the map around the outside. I'm not sure how I would change it to 'fix' it, but it doesn't look right to my eyes.
    - The side view of the hill. I definitely realize its purpose, but it seems to 'cartoon-y' for my taste, whereas the rest of the map just seems clean to me. I guess, to me, it is a clash of styles. The map is a simple, modern, effective map. The side view is not modern, nor is it right. I think that it should be in a more realistic style. (Sorry to babble; I'm finding it very difficult saying what I'm trying to.)

First off, it's GREAT to see you here again, Helium. I was beginning to think you were one of those Guildies who shows up, creates an awesome map that awes everyone, wins an award from the site, then goes away never to be heard from again! Glad that's not the case.

This map, in all honesty and no slam intended, seems to me perfect for a youth role playing game. It is very cartoony and fun. (And I mean that as a compliment.) This is exactly the kind of map I'd make for fun and grin to myself the entire time with a relaxed grin!

Nice one!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

I absolutely love it! It has a really individual style and feel to it. All of it for me comes down to the name 'Knockanotch' - it suggests cartoony and fun so the map fits in wonderfully with the subject.

Welcome back, Helium - and don't leave it for so long next time!

I have to say. I love the sheer simplicity of the map. SOmetimes, the 'realistic' maps becomes just a little too much, and when something plain and simple (and that is not a complaint but a compliment), comes along, it brings a smile to my face.

A truly fine map.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I absolutely love it! It has a really individual style and feel to it. All of it for me comes down to the name 'Knockanotch' - it suggests cartoony and fun so the map fits in wonderfully with the subject.

Welcome back, Helium - and don't leave it for so long next time!
    Heh. I try hard in my current game to use "functional" names for most places and reserve the "fantasy" names for places that are named after specific people. Thus, Knockanotch Gap is named after a large fault that from a distance appears to have nearly split a mountain in two. As if an enormous axe swung down from the heavens and "knocked a notch" in it.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    First off, it's GREAT to see you here again, Helium. I was beginning to think you were one of those Guildies who shows up, creates an awesome map that awes everyone, wins an award from the site, then goes away never to be heard from again! Glad that's not the case.
    Yeah. Sorry about that. I've been running a game again and most of my free time goes into the encounter and adventure designs. Maps are somewhat secondary at the moment.

That being said, I'll have a pretty kick-butt (IMHO) dungeon map to post in the near future. Illustrator let's me do some pretty cool stuff, one of which is to nearly eliminate my use of paper during the game. I can use my laptop for just about everything.

This map, in all honesty and no slam intended, seems to me perfect for a youth role playing game. It is very cartoony and fun. (And I mean that as a compliment.) This is exactly the kind of map I'd make for fun and grin to myself the entire time with a relaxed grin!
    *nod* I slammed this one out really quickly (approximately 8 hours) and mostly it was about attempting to generate a "realistic" profile view of the monastery by combining an overhead view map with contour lines.

The result was acceptable, but I doubt I'd go through the effort again. In the future, I'll just draw the profile view by hand and then produce the site map afterwards.

Nice one![/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    I really like it a lot. I personally don't think that textures and shading need to appear on every map.
    Texture and shading are nice, but I agree that on some maps they aren't particularly appropriate.

- The lines on the hillside that, to me, seem extraneous since you already use the contour lines to great effect.
    Which lines are you talking about? The gray contour lines or the other lines?

The way the trees hang over the edge of the map around the outside. I'm not sure how I would change it to 'fix' it, but it doesn't look right to my eyes.
    I've become more proficient with Adobe Illustrator since I created this map and I have a solution for this problem. I agree as well, it doesn't look right.

- The side view of the hill. I definitely realize its purpose, but it seems to 'cartoon-y' for my taste, whereas the rest of the map just seems clean to me. I guess, to me, it is a clash of styles. The map is a simple, modern, effective map. The side view is not modern, nor is it right. I think that it should be in a more realistic style. (Sorry to babble; I'm finding it very difficult saying what I'm trying to.)
    I'm curious. When you say "right" do you mean that it doesn't mesh well with the rest of the map or that it's "wrong" from a . . . perspective . . . perspective? (Wow, what a weird sentence.)

Quote Originally Posted by GlennZilla View Post
    While it doesn't have the textures and shading we ususally see here this map is a terrific example of clean lines and simple construction.

I guess it's saying something that the only problem I had was trying to find where location "C" was on the map.
    Hah Hah!! I totally missed that. Thanks for catching it.