Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jump Points Project

Default Jump Points Project

I've been working on this map for a while. Its the first sector map for my "Jump Point" project. The general idea of the project is to develop an open setting, where anyone (that includes you) can pick a star system, write about it, detail it a much as you care too.

Each star system is up for Grabs. If you want more than one, that's fine as well. To plant your flag just post below the hex numbers of the star systems you want.

If you want to grab a hole cluster, you also need to name the nation you are going to be developing.

The numbers below each star are the systems Universal World Profile. The digits right to left mean:
    • Star Port Quality:
    • Main World Size
    • Atmosphere
    • Surface Water Coverage
    • Population
    • Government Type
    • Law Level
    • hyphen
    • Tech Level

UWP information can be found in the world building section of the Traveller Main Rule book. By the way, Traveller is the default rules system for this setting, unless some one knows of a system that would work better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Map.png 
Views:	269 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	38987  
    Last edited by someguy; 10-05-2011 at 08:28 PM.
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    UWP information can be found in the world building section of the Traveller Main Rule book. By the way, Traveller is the default rules system for this setting, unless some one knows of a system that would work better.
    Traveller is pretty much the only game in town for sci fi. Gurps might work, or d20 if you are a D&D-fanatic, but everything else can be discarded as "fringe systems". Mongoose Traveller, the current incarnation, is actually pretty good.

GURPS works pretty well. We've used it for Traveller, Firefly, and I'm gearing up for Star Trek. Nothing wrong with the original Traveller rules, of course, if you're ready to roll with that old-skool feel. I've never really looked closely at the new Mongoose stuff, though they certainly seem faithful to the look of the game so maybe they keep the original feel as well.
    M

Blog Entries

Mongoose is really a modernized Classic Traveller. I haven't tested it, and did not read it in-depth, but I'm considering doing my Sci Fi universe design in Mongoose Traveller. The main advantage over Gurps is that it's a much simpler system. That, and I always had a thing for their character generation minigame.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Mongoose is really a modernized Classic Traveller. I haven't tested it, and did not read it in-depth, but I'm considering doing my Sci Fi universe design in Mongoose Traveller. The main advantage over Gurps is that it's a much simpler system. That, and I always had a thing for their character generation minigame.
    The differences between CT and MGT is the same 2nd and 3rd edition shadowrun. It was mostly cleanup and clarification.

I've never likes, GURPS it was always too complicated and when you have to have 8 different skills just for basic movement, you know the system has some major clunk issues. MGT is for the most part a simple enough system that covers a wide range of circumstances.

So, anyone interested in joining the project? Do you have any questions? Any parts of the map interest you?
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

Blog Entries

I'm working on my own sci-fi setting, if I detail a world, I'll do it for that - I have little enough time as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I'm working on my own sci-fi setting, if I detail a world, I'll do it for that - I have little enough time as-is.
    edit: When you post that in a thread like this its saying "not no, but F*** no!". Its highly inappropriate, and down right rude. Its not only a nonconstructive statement, its actually a hindrance.

Its like walking into a dealership and yelling "I'm not buying a Ford, because i have Chevys dealership".
    Last edited by someguy; 10-17-2011 at 04:56 PM.

I didn't take his response as overly negative. It's never good to read too much into comments on the Internetz.

I've never likes, GURPS it was always too complicated and when you have to have 8 different skills just for basic movement, you know the system has some major clunk issues.
    GURPS can be a complicated system if you take all of the add-ons and options, but you shouldn't just assume your perceptions are correct without giving it a close look - and I know a lot of gamers that make generalizations about it without really being able to offer any specific issues and don't really know how it works beyond the surface. I realize your comment was intended as an exaggeration (I hope) but I know of no real 'clunk' issues in GURPS 4E...it certainly doesn't have as many patched-on and chopped-together incompatible rules as some rules systems I can think of (including D&D 3.5). Just saying.
    M

I use to play GURPs quit often, had a long running Traveller: Interstellar Wars game a year back. It was rather clunky.

That's cool...everyone has different opinions about things. You do, however, misrepresent it: there are *not* eight different skills for basic movement. Comments like that (even jokingly) just further the skittishness of potential GURPS players who'll never give it a chance because they've heard it's "too hard". You can do that if you like, of course...but why?
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast