Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jump Points Project

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    You do, however, misrepresent it: there are *not* eight different skills for basic movement.
    Really?

Acrobatics: A good skill used by a lot of games.
    Climbing: Should be combined into athletics.
    Flying leap: They have flying leap, but dodge is a derived stat?
    Hiking: Should be part of athletics skill.
    Jumping: should be part of Acrobatics skill.
    Lifting: Strength check!
    Running: Should be part of Athletics skill.
    Swimming: Should be part of athletics skill.

But all of this has nothing to do with setting development!
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

Really! Those skills represent athletic-style training and are used to model characters with training beyond that of a normal person. Flying Leap, for that matter, is a cinematic skill designed for non-realistic martial artists - dodging a strike is something anyone can do, hence Dodge as a derived stat (just like Basic Lift). We've never used *any* of those skills in a game and probably never will. Basic movement in all of those modes is covered by the basic rules. But, maybe this misunderstanding does point to the complexity of the ruleset.

But, as you say, none of this has anything to do with setting development...so I'll drop the matter!
    M

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    edit: When you post that in a thread like this its saying "not no, but F*** no!". Its highly inappropriate, and down right rude. Its not only a nonconstructive statement, its actually a hindrance.
    No, it's not. I was basically saying "I'd normally like to, but I have other commitments and no time on my hands". We were also kind of having a conversation, and I thought it'd be rude not to reply to you. Of course now you did lose me as a potential participant.

Blog Entries

Really?

Acrobatics: A good skill used by a lot of games.
    Climbing: Should be combined into athletics.
    Flying leap: They have flying leap, but dodge is a derived stat?
    Hiking: Should be part of athletics skill.
    Jumping: should be part of Acrobatics skill.
    Lifting: Strength check!
    Running: Should be part of Athletics skill.
    Swimming: Should be part of athletics skill.
    Flying Leap is a cinematic martial arts skill; it's essentially a super power. Likewise for Light Walk, Blind Fighting, Lizard Climb, Power Blow, etc.

Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, and Edmund Hillary are not interchangeable. Neither are Andrey Silnov and Lavinia Miloşovici.

Normal lifting is an ST roll. Lifting skill represents training in applying your strength more effectively, as distinct from simply being stronger. Running, Jumping and Hiking are similar. You can run, jump, lift, and hike without any special training, but training can improve your technique. You can even make default rolls against Swimming, Acrobatics, or Climbing to attempt those things without the skills.

Basic movement requires no skills at all. Skills either let you do things that require training to do, or represent refined technique beyond your physical fitness/agility/strength as represented by your attributes.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 10-22-2011 at 05:01 AM.

I've been working on this map for a while. Its the first sector map for my "Jump Point" project. The general idea of the project is to develop an open setting, where anyone (that includes you) can pick a star system, write about it, detail it a much as you care too.

Each star system is up for Grabs. If you want more than one, that's fine as well. To plant your flag just post below the hex numbers of the star systems you want.

If you want to grab a hole cluster, you also need to name the nation you are going to be developing.

The numbers below each star are the systems Universal World Profile. The digits right to left mean:
    • Star Port Quality:
    • Main World Size
    • Atmosphere
    • Surface Water Coverage
    • Population
    • Government Type
    • Law Level
    • hyphen
    • Tech Level

UWP information can be found in the world building section of the Traveller Main Rule book. By the way, Traveller is the default rules system for this setting, unless some one knows of a system that would work better.
    It reminds me of my days of modding Starfleet Command 3, it had hexagons to flip when taking that of territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidrain View Post
    It reminds me of my days of modding Starfleet Command 3, it had hexagons to flip when taking that of territory.
    Save that in this game you get a lot more story and background information. Not to mention you get to make your mark on the setting.

So are you interested in taking up writing for a world, star system, or cluster of worlds?
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Flying Leap is a cinematic martial arts skill; it's essentially a super power. Likewise for Light Walk, Blind Fighting, Lizard Climb, Power Blow, etc.

Usain Bolt, Michael Phelps, and Edmund Hillary are not interchangeable. Neither are Andrey Silnov and Lavinia Miloşovici.

Normal lifting is an ST roll. Lifting skill represents training in applying your strength more effectively, as distinct from simply being stronger. Running, Jumping and Hiking are similar. You can run, jump, lift, and hike without any special training, but training can improve your technique. You can even make default rolls against Swimming, Acrobatics, or Climbing to attempt those things without the skills.

Basic movement requires no skills at all. Skills either let you do things that require training to do, or represent refined technique beyond your physical fitness/agility/strength as represented by your attributes.
    And if you try and simulate reality in an RPG you might as well just live your real life. Its also horrible game balance to list gestalt skills in with pacific circumstance skills. It best to have them as mutually exclusive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12