Thread: First Map

Guild Novice

Wip First Map

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a couple days and I'm very impressed with all of the information and talent around here. After quite a bit of reading I decided to apply what I learned and take a shot at making a map. This is my version of a map that a friend made for his campaign. Done in Photoshop with a few brush packs from here and there. I'd like to add some effects to make it look like worn paper and maybe a border. Critique would be great but go easy on me, I'm new at this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 1.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	632.4 KB 
ID:	39009  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Welcome on Board. Try looking for the Seabordertutorial it have some ncie effects. And try some textures of http://zentextures.com/ thats my fav source. For the Borders try to google some maps of Joan Blaeu, hi did some quiet impressive stuff back there in the '60. Well 1665, those times

Guild Novice

Excellent, thanks!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I love the little clouds drifting in between the mountains - that looks cool. One thing I'd do is lighten up the color on the mountains a bit so the details show through more. Right now they look kinda dark and clumpy.

Welcome to the Guild!

Blog Entries

Hey, DLC. For a first map I think it's pretty cool. The only thing that strikes me as looking off is the sea. Those lines in it look pixellated and pretty rough, like they were hastily drawn.

I would recommend downloading Coyotemax's paper textures - you can find them in the resource forum. Try overlaying one of those textures and messing with the blend modes and opacity. For a border you could just stroke the outside edge of the image with a dark line and then simply enlarge the canvas to make a margin. Place a paper texture underneath your map so that it shows at the edges et voila!
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Novice

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's where they got me:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	39070

It's looking good, but the top level texture is a bit too strong for my taste. It's taking attention away from the map itself.

I'd recommend either fading it a bit in the middle or using something else that doesn't lighten up the middle woods quite so much.

Welcome to the guild! And, I think this looks rather cool actually.. The only thing that bothers me that if you look close enough the mountains repeat themselves, maybe add a few there or here and mess with the lightness on clumps or something?

As Lukc said: try to tone the paper overlay down a little: the bright central part detracts from the map.

At first I thought that the layout of the map is a little too... angular, but now I think it adds a little "primitive" touch to the whole map.

Everything else: well done!

Guild Novice

Thanks guys. This has pretty much been my first foray into using any textures or transparency layers in PS...It's been a fun learning experience.

I feel the same way about the mountains being too repetitive but I don't have a tablet or a scanner right now and that was the best I could do with the brushes.

As for the angular "primitive" feel of the map, I know what you mean...I actually made the coastline, mountain range, and forest much more natural looking than my friend drew it but I could change the actual layout without messing with his intentions. This aspect of gaming isn't his strength so we end up with a rather geometric map.

I may tweak this a bit more but I've already gotten started on a large hand-drawn world map for campaign. So thanks for the help improving this project, it's way better than I would have made it on my own but I'm being drawn to a different style than I used here.