Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long-serif atlas font?

Yeah, it definitely needs that cursive 'tick' that the other lowercase letters have. I've been trying to slavishly reproduce the exact letter forms of a map I have ( I think that one doesn't have a curved serif on the bottom right of the d) but looking at it, I think I'll have to work on more consistency. I'm glad this thread came up, it will give me an extra boost to go back to finishing the set.

I searched for quite some time for a font that I could use to match old atlas maps and found nothing that fit my needs. That is why I ended up using a sampling and clone process to create the lettering in the maps I made in that style. Nothing else seemed to wolook authentic. Thank you all for the nice comments.

I have always wanted to make a font but I don't really have any idea where to begin the process. I will look into it as it would probably have been a lot easier than the process I did to make my maps. If I do create on, I will gladly share it with everyone here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ravells, your font is looking really good.

Galli - thanks - those are useful fonts, though not perzactly what I'm going for. But the Latin Modern Roman you suggest is a find: it was developed for typesetting using TeX, so has a gazillion variants, including, tadaaaaa .... oblique and slanted, as distinct from italic. I needed to understand those terms. That tells me precisely how to describe what I was looking for, which is probably half the search done. Oblique or Slanted seems to mean the same general serif forms as upright (mostly flat, parallel to baseline) rather than the many additional ones that turn upwards in a typical italic.

I dummied up an example - ignore the blurry cartography, I just blew up a snip of an old map I did. These labels are sort of what I want, though NOT a way I'm likely to tackle en masse: I laid them all out in DrawPlus, where I can easily put text along curves. Then with a half-pixel line I just manually extended some of the serifs. In the time I spent fooling around with that (admittedly trying it with several different fonts as base) somebody like Diamond could've produced a whole regional map from scratch :-). But I learned something, so that's OK.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CzepchivdjaFonttest.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	39102

The cool thing Freodin is doing with one of the Fell typefaces is close enough to the look I want that I may settle for it to do 19th century atlas maps.

edit: oh, and ravells, I'm looking forward to seeing what you finish up with, on that font. nice stuff! Anything that'll help us do stuff like Vandal's delights and those old atlases is a good thing :-).
    Last edited by jbgibson; 10-11-2011 at 01:20 AM.

I've been thinking of doing a font as well, for ages literally. This might spur me to actually make one ... Glad you found your font jgibson.

Hello,
    I realize this is an old post, but it doesn't appear that the font has been found or created. I've spent way too much time searching on My Fonts and trying to create/modify an existing font. Did anyone make any progress on this since 2011?
    Thanks.

Finding a specific font is not easy but you can try this : https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

I haven't found any more than the ones already mentioned in the thread. Nor have I dabbled in font creation... yet...

I used Im Fell Double Pica for my copy of an 18th century map.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...l=1#post263870

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12