Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Venus base

Default Looking for a Venus base

Hi,

I want to do a Venus map for my game but I can't find a proper base for it. I need a map of Venus with altimetry/topography with a good accuracy. I've just found some maps with false colours (flashy blue, yellow and red) and it's not very accurate...
    There are a lot for Mars, but not for Venus.

Oh! I used to work on classic surface maps. But another format will do.

Tell me if you have one or know a good place to find it.

Thanks by advance.

Do you realize how NOT inhabitable the surface of Venus is?
    Imagine building a city on an active volcano at the bottom of the ocean ... only the water is sulfuric acid.

Try looking here:
    Nasa Technical Reports Server
    Last edited by atpollard; 12-04-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Would the map on this page do you?

Has anyone seen toff recently? He had what looked like a radar surface map of Venus for his Venus Transit Map, but I don't recall if he said where it came from.

If that false color image is of sufficient resolution, you might be able to remap the colors to a more usable grayscale heightmap. As I recall, there's a topo made from Magellan data that uses a rather garish hypsometric scheme. If that's the one you have, then the reds are high altitude, the blues are low altitude, and the grays are areas where no data was captured. I considered using that image to get a displacement map for a 3d model of the planet, but I never had cause to look beneath the clouds, so it's sitting in one of my archives somewhere. I seem to remember that it was quite low-res, though, so I'd have had to do some pretty serious processing on it to get a usable texture, anyway.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quick googling gives us: http://planetpixelemporium.com/venus.html - but I don't have time this morning to sift through the results to find a better one. (Besides, you can easiyl do that part yourself.)

And yeah, if your game is hard sci-fi you will need to do some serious thinking on that base. Even if it's a soft sci-fi setting, consider a city on the talles mountains, and even then a well protected one - thick walls, dome shapes to provide pressure resistance, etc.

Thanks a lot everyone! I had not looked on the guild news for quite a month.
    Actually, I've already found quite good venus maps and I have worked on my elzevir venus map since then (but it's not finished).

I'm a scientist, so I know quite well about the harsh conditions on Venus atpollard. But my Elzevir's world is a kind of uchronia, so I stated that Venus and Mars were suited for life (but with certain conditions nevertheless). Venus and Mars are in the habitable zone and both had know an era (sometimes very short) with surface water bodies and a thicker (for Mars) or less carbonated atmosphere (for Venus).

I hope I am gonna be able to finish the map before 2012!

Again, thanks for your kind answers.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You're welcome.

Are the maps /base images you found freely accessible? If so, could you post a link please?

I think so, it's provided by the NASA on the IAU/USGS website. For Venus, here's the link :
    http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/Pa...o10m_Altimetry

There's plenty of interesting things on this site by the way!

Wow, that one was a hard one... Finally, my elzevir Venus Political Map then.
    In my Elzevir World, Venus has a moon called Neith... But just now, I'm gonna wait a bit before doing it.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...2&d=1327684039

This one was a harder one!
    This is my Elzevir Political Map of Venus then. Venus has a moon in my Elzevir's world, which is called Neith and is inhabited. I'll do it a bit later...

Hope u enjoy it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Venus Politique.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	3.48 MB 
ID:	41603

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast