Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Undersea Station

Default Undersea Station

After creating the deck plan for a manta submersible (and already posted in the Finished Maps forum). Then I created a completely 3D crab maintenance vehicle. Now these submersibles need a place to be used. So I decided to work on a 3D/vector hybrid undersea station for a colony, minining operation, aquafarm, industrial complex or other purpose.

Although I created 2 not-quite-geodesic domes in 3D, most of the facility, I think will be built into a sea mount, with only parts sticking out as domes into the water.

Work-in-progress...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	undersea-station.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	72448

Name:	devilfish-submersible.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	441.5 KB 
ID:	72446

Name:	crab-vessel-update.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	72449
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Next update on what I'm calling Neptune Station. I decided to cut-out the center of the geodesic domes to better show the interiors. I'm designing this at 72 x 72 inches for 1 inch equals 10 feet scale. I also plan to create a full 3D terrain of a seamount that this station sits upon. I will also create some towers and other structures that will sit between the habitable extensions built upon the rock of the seamount itself. I'm keeping one geodesic dome, just to show one, and it is for an observation platform (think "park") so obscuring its interior is less an issue.

Moving right along...

GP

Name:	undersea-station-01.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	72457
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-05-2015 at 10:42 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Next update.

Both the Marine Laboratory and the Hydroponics pylons consist of pillars containing multiple levels with specific aquarium/labs below the marine lab and food sources and other plants grown for community consumption - I might include sample additional levels for each.

I used examples from my Sea Symbol set to fill the aquariums in the marine laboratory.

Although I stated the observation platform is less critical, its important to the undersea community and used as a park, a school room, concert hall, for religious services, marriages, funerals, etc. So its very meaningful psychologically.

Moving right along...

Name:	undersea-station-02.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	72466
    DrivethruRPG store

Next update. I might still do the terrain in 3D, but for now just did stacked beveled shapes.

Name:	undersea-station-03.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	72470
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-06-2015 at 02:42 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Last update to the undersea station for tonight - main dome: the start of a hospital, across the aisle is the confinement area, to the south of that will be main security office. Maintenance is up towards the top with its own elevator down to industrial operations (air filtration, desalination plant, powerplant, and more). The very top is like a restaurant with a kitchen on the wall opposite the stairs to second level. Moving right along.

I raided some past maps, including commissions for stuff like the hospital beds, powerplants, cellblox jail units, etc.

GP

Name:	undersea-station-04.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	72471
    DrivethruRPG store

I'm detailing the community level of the main habitat dome (the largest dome). I've added to the hospital, put in walls for the security office, dropped in Cellblox jail units, and have placed labels for intentions on certain chambers. What else do I need?

Note, this is a multi-leveled structure with round levels beneath this one. The first one contains cargo storage with refrigeration facilities and more, the next 2 (possibly 3) levels are habitat - apartments for bachelors and families (outermost apartments are upscale with windows to exterior), the lower level(s) contain industrial operations: engineering, desalination plant, small nuclear powerplant, water treatment, etc.

Anyway, I want to adequetely service the community on the top level, so what else should go there?

GP

Name:	neptune-station-01.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	72489
    DrivethruRPG store

Last update for tonight. I made the wall sections within the larger chambers permanently attached to the main walls. I added doors. Though still need to add sink units, I've begun to place toilets, to show that "facilities will be plentiful" here.

I added a fully gym with tread-climbers, bicycle exercisers, weight machines, a punching bag, a free weight set and a mat for floor exercises and martial arts/wrestling training.

Next to the gym, I started a sauna, toilet/showers, and hot tub area for the gym and public use.

Other areas are labeled, though unfurnished, like a bar/lounge, just below the dining/kitchen area at the top of the main habitat dome.

I've still got to come up with ideas for those other chambers.

GP

Name:	neptune-station-02.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	72498
    DrivethruRPG store

I included stairs to a second floor, even though I haven't figured out what all the rooms on this level will be. At this point, however, I am considering the second floor to serve as a university for marine biology and oceanography post graduate degrees (and extensions from various universities). I've also decided to include a book store/gift shop, a hair salon - I need 2 more concept ideas for this level.
    DrivethruRPG store

This is so awesome! If I could volunteer to go to a station like this I think I would do it!

As a kid watching Jacque Cousteau, I thought I wanted to be an oceanographer or marine biologist when I grew up. Until high school when I realized all the math involved, especially oceanography, and I'm no math wiz, and opted to get away from the sciences. Though I too would work at a station like this if allowed, and if such existed.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast