Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cover Design for a Free Kaidan Adventure

Default Cover Design for a Free Kaidan Adventure

So I decided to use one of our Con adventure one-shots as a free download for a Halloween promotion.

I created the cover art using Xara Xtreme using a painterly style, though this is vector art. I used 3 photos for reference: a snowy mountain valley, a temple, and a samurai view from the back. I thought it turned out well. Since it's a give-away product, I didn't want to have to pay a real artist for a cover illustration. I'll be using reusing lots of existing Kaidan art, some public domain stuff, and perhaps one or two other pieces of mine. It already has a map.

Probably in the next week or so I will release this free product - hopefully sooner for the Halloween season. I'll post in the News forum when it is ready.

Oh and there is an error on the titling - its supposed to be for a 5th level adventure, not 3rd.

This is only a low res file, will export hi res when the product is ready.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frozen-wind-cover-final.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	39028
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Slight improvement - darkened image, and added the eyes of the Yuki-onna (snow woman) ... the primary villain of the story.

Name:	frozen-wind-cover-final-1.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	39032
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I think they eyes look a bit too realistic compared to the rest.. But, really nice just GP!

Still needs work. Something was wrong and I couldn't place it - when it hit me. There's no wind in the scene. The samurai needs to be hunched over with legs hidden in deep snow, holding onto his hat or helmet, cloth strips blowing violently toward the temple. A spiral of snow blowing towards the valley.

I used an actual photo touched for the eyes, I think I will vector paint them for consistency - still a work in progress.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

OK, next step. I decided to put in some snow blowing, as well as snow falling - with some transparency applied and different scaled flakes. I also redid the eyes to purely vector style so it blends in better. I have yet to do the samurai, but I'll get to him tomorrow. That's a more complex fix, but I will definitely do it.

GP

Name:	frozen-wind-cover-new.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	39036
    DrivethruRPG store

looking real good! The snows adds a great dramatic touch

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely GP...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks, guys!

I think this is my final version before I place it in the cover design!

GP

Name:	frozen-wind-illustration.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	39071

Name:	frozen-wind-cover-design.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	39072
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-09-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Looking good...I'm thinking the eyes could be less visible...you are in danger of making them look a little crazy, especially with the one being brighter than the other. I'm thinking you are looking to create fear more than giggles but this is just my initial impression and it looks like I'm late to give any input.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it as is, but would you necessarily see the moon if it was snowing like that? Maybe some cloud cover?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast