Thread: Continent building with CC3

Guild Applicant

Default Continent building with CC3

Getting to grips with CC3.

I want to make a continent map but am significantly challenged by one hurdle.

From first impressions it appears that you have to make the entire continent in one go. For example, once you start you cannot stop a line, zoom in a little draw some more, zoom out and carry on. Each time you stop a ‘land mass’ is created and I cannot see where or how you can join two together i.e continue a land mass from a previously created one? It seems quite unreal that anybody can freehand draw an entire world 2000 miles wide without lifting their finger off the mouse!

Is it possible to add to en existing land mass without the ‘coastline’ of each one showing on top of the other?

There are a lot of ways you could do this. You could draw a "temporary" solid (or hollow if you prefer) polygon or fractal polygon to represent your continent as a rough outline, then use the drawing tool for creating the continent when you are ready to draw in detail (perhaps on it's own temporary sheet). Or you could just draw a path or fractal path for areas you want to detail now and then when you are ready use the continent drawing tool. In all cases where you have an area pre-drawn that you like, you can use the Trace option with the continent drawing tool to copy that bit of coast into the final continent.
    When you are done just delete (or hide) the temporary continent/coast lines.
    Last edited by jaerdaph; 10-08-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

You can also draw your continent as paths (or fractal paths) in segments using Endpoint modifiers when you start a new segment and join them all together at the end with Path to Poly command.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Of course you can zoom in/out as you draw. I do so all the time. When you are drawing your lines, to zoom, in out, etc just click on the various button, unless of course the tool you are using is the free hand/where ever you move the mouse it makes a line tool (and I never use that tool, except in the most rare of circumstances).

But as Jaerdaph said, best to use paths/polygons in this endeavor.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Applicant

Thanks guys, so far so good, this has been helpful and I am making some good headway. I will post some images when I get some worth looking at!