Thread: Treasure Map AAaarrrgghh!

Map Treasure Map AAaarrrgghh!

I recently planned a treasure hunt for my kids and their friends at a local park here in town. Their ages ranged from 4 to 9 years old. I made two maps. Actually, 1 map with two different routes and two different sets of instructions. I printed them out on 11x17 paper, stained them in coffee, and gave them a nice old tattered look. The first map lead them to what they thought would be treasure, but it was another map. This second map lead them to a small chest full of Reese cups, Twix, and a bunch of shinny new pennies that was covered in brush with a large X made from two big sticks laying on top. The whole route was about 2 miles. They really enjoyed it and I enjoyed putting it together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Treasure Map 1st Leg.jpg 
Views:	1694 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	47666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Treasure Map 2nd Leg.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	47667  
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

That is great. I've done map games for my girls on their birthdays. I'll make a map and divide it into several pieces and make them answer riddles about the location of the map pieces. Then once they have all the pieces the treasure is revealed by a small x on the map. Your idea of doing it in a park is really good since it opens up new places to see and longer treks for the kids.