Thread: First map: Impact

Guild Applicant

Map First map: Impact

Like so many people, I came here from the Saderan tutorial posted on Reddit. Expanding from that, I decided to try and tell a story with the map itself. I wanted to avoid using any nameplates, any guidelines, or anything of that sort. I wanted the landscape to tell a story about the world and how it formed on its own. I also wanted to get my feet wet with the process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrgh.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	526.9 KB 
ID:	39052

If you're familiar with the tutorial, there's a few places I deviated from what was included. I added snow to the mountain peaks, the mountains themselves have a desaturated appearance to them to appear more rocky, and a few other little tricks I found that I feel enhanced the overall image. It's my first map, however, so I'm still looking to improve, so any feedback would be great.

I think that stroke around the coast is a bit too.. Strong. But I really like what you did with the mountains!

Guild Applicant

I've been thinking the same myself, honestly. I'm messing around with the colours and the size but for some reason it never seems to come out right.

edit: Just as I say that, I stumble across a combination that I think I like.

edit 2: wrong attachment.

Name:	stroke-fixed-2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	468.0 KB 
ID:	39054
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stroke-fixed.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	39053  
    Last edited by mapigold; 10-08-2011 at 07:26 PM.

Yeah, thats alot better! Good job!
    Repped!

Very nice. That looks much better and I like the way the mountains turned out. Welcome!
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the last version you posted, though the 'coastal waters' are a bit bright to me and seem a bit distracting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

I agree. I was looking at it last night and felt similar. I also felt they were a bit too "tight" for my liking and loosened them up. I didn't want to flood the board or anything so I held off on posting them.

Name:	oceans-fixed-2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	468.3 KB 
ID:	39063

edit: My next map I'll probably be working a bit more on laying out tectonics and ocean currents, along with establishing prevailing winds to give it an overall more cohesive and real look. I'll also be including stuff like shallow pools in the oceans where continents look like they may have just been almost pushed up.
    Last edited by mapigold; 10-09-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Very interesting shape for your land masses; Is there some sort of explanation for the inner sea? Some sort of catastrophic event perhaps?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice job, mapigold. I got the 'clobbered by asteroid' image even without the "Impact" title on the thread. You're right - the more diffuse shallows on this latest iteration is a better look than the former uniform band. And yeah, adding more shallows will be good too. Continental shelves aren't uniform-width.

I know you're intentionally holding back from labeling, but can you give a general idea of your intended scale?

And kudos for posting a map right away - nicest way to introduce oneself!

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Nice job, mapigold. I got the 'clobbered by asteroid' image even without the "Impact" title on the thread. You're right - the more diffuse shallows on this latest iteration is a better look than the former uniform band. And yeah, adding more shallows will be good too. Continental shelves aren't uniform-width.

I know you're intentionally holding back from labeling, but can you give a general idea of your intended scale?

And kudos for posting a map right away - nicest way to introduce oneself!
    When I was designing the map itself, I was going for a Eurasian continent sized location. Unfortunately, this didn't convey well because of how I sized the canvas and how I laid out the vegetation sizes, it comes across more as being maybe four times the surface area of Egypt.

I've been trying to make the continental shelves a bit more varied but unfortunately it's not feasible to do with how I've laid out the textures and landmasses in this map. Since I actually really enjoy this though, I'll be taking everything I messed up/learned from this and the tutorial and applying it to my next map.