Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erinor

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Erinor

Experimenting with a bit of a different color scheme. Many names are recycled from my other maps (hey, it's HARD thinking up all those names!) but I think they hang together within their cultural groups.

Fonts are Optimus Princeps and Times New Roman.

edited to add:

The thing that turned out the best (in my point of view) was the forests - I finally found a 'look' for this type of map that I like!

I should note also that the title box was pieced together from two different free-use clipart pieces - I didn't draw the individual leaves myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ErinorFinal.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	39061  
    Last edited by Diamond; 10-09-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Dude, you're killing me Every time i go "woah, cool...that has to be the nicest map i have seen..." ... and then you come back with another one that is cool in other ways and all on its own. In other words: very nice map, have some rep! (even if it's only virtual because i think i will have to spread some love around before i can rep you again ^^ ).

One thing's for sure, if i ever need to commission a map, i really hope you do take commissions!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Good result for your experiment! Which technique did you use for the mountains?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nicely done!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice result! Great colors..very vibrant.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Pretty! I particularly like the name inset.
    M

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Which technique did you use for the mountains?
    They're inspired by some of Ascension's techniques - two different layers, one for hills, one for mountains. The Hills layer is just a B&W clouds layer, with varying amounts of Noise filter; the Mountains layer uses the same base clouds, but with 10 Difference Clouds applied and a tiny amount of noise. Then light filters are applied; I just mess around until I come up with a 'look' that I like, then take out all the black colors. Then the hills/mts layers are set to 0% fill, and after that it's just a matter of messing around with layer styles until you come up with a look you like. I use varying amounts of bevel/emboss, outer glow, and inner glow. Sometimes I'll add a third layer in between the hills and mountains if I need a smoother transition between the two.

Yeah I agree with Eilathen, you never cease to amaze me with both the speed and the quality of your map production Diamond. Amazing stuff.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

re: recycled names - yeah, I've stared hard enough at your other maps that I could start to have the deja vu "haven't I seen this before" reaction :-)
    re: forests - that's a really effective look. Too many maps have forests only as puddles in the plains, with all mountains sticking up barren. I like these showing topography through the forest depiction.

Landforms, palette, typography, ornamentation, layout -- all so very good. Nice work!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Actually I wonder how long do you need for one of your maps? I havent seen anyone have done as many as you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast