Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontier Lands Commission

Default Frontier Lands Commission

Hey guys.. I thinks it's been a while since I have posted anything. I have been doing a lot of stuff, just not mapping.
    This commission comes from White Haired Man and is the first of several maps for a new region that they will be developing soon in a kickstarter project.

I'll post the work in progress images. Any questions or feedback is appreciated. I feel a bit rusty.
    The 1st two here are the sketch from the client, the second is my revised sketch.

Thanks
    -D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHM1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	39114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHM2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	39115  

Here are the early stages of the work. I know I have a lot more work to do, a lot of details to add.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHMmapFrontierWIP1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	39116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHMmapFrontierWIP2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	39117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WHMmapFrontierWIP3.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	39118  

Blog Entries

Nice start, DK. Love the waterfall.

Dunno if you plan on doing more with the forest but I'm not so hot for that. The combination of the texture and what appears to be a drop shadow makes it look very digital. Doesn't seem to gel with your painterly mountains and rivers. Ignore me if you plan on making the forest less digital or the mountains/rivers to be more so.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Wow, this looks like it's going to turn into a beauty! Well, we'd expect nothing less My small observation is that the perspective on the left hand tributary looks a little off, but it's probably just me.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks like a great start - looking forward to seing more and I'm with both Ramah and Ravi concerning their comments
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I agree about the forests. The mountains are very cool! One note, it appears that the the single huge tree has shadow opposite from the mountain shadows.

Looking forward to seeing this finished up!

On a side note, the client seems to have a really good starting sketch, I assume this was more of a time thing than for them vs skill?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the all the comments. I will tweak the trees.
    There will be some places, like the tree that will be locations, the locations will stand out, not sure about the current glow.. but something.
    The client is a friend, and I know that given the time he could do it. I do a fair amount of work with them and they new that I would produce something of good quality in a fair amount of time.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like it a lot. I think the river could go thinner in the distance. At the moment it breaks the illusion of depth a little as it stays thin for a long way. Also, it needs to fade into the background tones a little, it's a bit dark in the distance.

I actually rather like the trees, and the colour palette is fantastic. Great work so far.

Ooh, that's looking nice Devin!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    On a side note, the client seems to have a really good starting sketch, I assume this was more of a time thing than for them vs skill?
    I am Andugus of White Haired Man. I have some abilities, but I am a senior in a Graphic Design program with a full time job and family. That said, Devin has really been appreciated by our fans and does some amazing work that seems to evoke "exactly" what we have in mind. It's as if he can read my mind. Did I mention it looks great? The feedback has been awesome from others here and is appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast