Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] The Dominions of the Monarchy of St. Peter (fantasy)

Wip [WIP] The Dominions of the Monarchy of St. Peter (fantasy)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	svetopetrograjska_v1_2000.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	560.7 KB 
ID:	39123

Well, I seem to have time to burn recently and little enough to do with it, so I've been fiddling around with my campaign setting and my hand-lettering. The area in the map-to-be is basically a region colonised by immigrants from across the vast steppes to the south, some of the features are older (like the "straight road" to nowhere). The kingdom has regular problematic run-ins with steppe nomads, hence the large number of ruins along the southern edge.

This is basically a straight scan, so I check how the ink looks on a screen. I've still got to get rid of the pencil lines, add some other information and names, probably a small legend and stipple the water edges. Then it'll be over to the computer to add county border shading, some colours to everything, clean up some of the ink lines and finally texturize everything.

Lukc! That map just rocks! I would love to see that as a Cartographers' choice map. It's absolutely beautiful!

Unfortunately I cannot give you any rep right now, but I invite everyone else to. This is some of the finest hand drawn work I've ever seen. Your letter-work in particular is amazing.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I also agree, the feeling is very near to an autentic map of such an era.

Blog Entries

Yup. That there is a very nice map.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

That is beautifully done!

Wow, thanks for all the positive comments! They really make a difference for motivation, no two ways about it!

Anyway, here's version 2. I've erased the pencil marks and added stippling for the water edges as well as the name of the ocean (somehow I completely forgot to add that!). The next step is to digitally fix a few of the letters where I missed lines or missed the horizontal (oops) and at one point I accidentally turned what was intendet to be a point of interest into a church (oopsie, again). Having a digital finishing stage makes such mix-ups much less tragic. I remember the old days, when I'd draw a map and then get a few strokes wrong and blam, I felt like I'd ruined the whole thing.

After that - wind rose, legend, title and borders - but I'll do those on a separate page, scan them and add them to the map digitally.

Name:	svetopetrograjska_v2_2000.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	607.8 KB 
ID:	39129

Looks magnificent. Many, many years ago, before computers were freely available to all, I spent a lot of time doing calligraphy. For the last 20 or so years I've barely touched a pen since I use a keyboard most of the time, but seeing your map really makes me want to have a go at doing a hand drawn and lettered map. And as you say, mistakes need not necessarily be fatal.

Lukc - that's really, really good. The finishing touches like stippling the water do make it >pop< even more.

The last handdrawn map I did I was so scared of lousing up the lettering that I did all the labels on mylar, and digitally composited the two layers. Good thing too - I'm better at making decent letter forms than at arranging them.

I don't need to wait til you're done to add my smidgen of rep - bravo!

Thanks for the rep ... I fear I'm so new here, I'm just slowly realising it has something to do with the little sherrif stars on the posts and such . Also thanks for all the nice comments, they really give some much needed motivation ... for example when you plan on spending a few hours ... umm ... stippling. For example.

I have to admit, my thumb is starting to cramp from all the details and stippling, fortunately that's mostly all done. I scanned in some extra details at 900 dpi so I have enough resolution to work and resize at will (the original is app. 10,000 x 7,500 pixels) ... and realised I'd left far too little room for the legend, the title, the compass and fings like that. After some fiddling, I gave up and expanded the canvas, adding a few hundred pixels more at the top (which also meant I had to draw a bit more coast, but I cheated a bit and did that on the Wacom). I had to fiddle around a bunch of the texts as well and added a few digitally, just to make it seem like I didn't forget some things.

Next step: colour. First I'll probably colour natural features a dark green-brown and water features a dark blue, to differentiate them from political features (black) and give each of those its own level. Then I'll add a wash layer to get basic terrain colours and another layer for the water. Finally, I'm going to add shading to the political borders. I'll probably go for flat coloring for those with a lightly feathered inner edge and use some old-school pinks, yellows, sky-blues and light greens ... or something. Let's see how it goes ...

Name:	svetopetrograjska_v3_2000.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	789.9 KB 
ID:	39144

Blog Entries

Does it need colour? Looks good as is to me.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast