Thread: Awesome style

Default Awesome style

I'm not the first one to posting this.

I'm wondering how to do some nice effects with Photoshop: I saw a while ago this style of mapping (one of the best, imho): here's one sample map (here LINK).

Hence I'm not "the best" at Photoshop, I wonder how this awesome guy makes these maps. Well, for the mountains and the hills, the tablet is surely required. But what for the small dots in the plains? And the forests?

Well, anyway, this guy is my favourite mapper.

Cya guys.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I think that's Mike Schley; mostly hand drawn maps.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

So the map you reference is by MarkusTay. His maps are created by creating brushes from the original Faerun maps - and that's not necessarily a good idea

This is a style created for the 3rd edition realms map. The cartography credits are Todd Gamble, Rob Lazzaretti and Dennis Kauth. I've tracked down both Rob and Todd's websites and neither have maps in quite that styke, so I have to assume the original was by Dennis Kauth. He doesn't have a website and seems to have fallen off the face of the earth a little. I believe all the lines are hand drawn in PS on one layer, and then a separate layer (or collection of layers) are used for a light watercolour fill. The original map in this style is here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd...rLarge_150.jpg

Thanks guys. Very helpful, as everytime

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    So the map you reference is by MarkusTay. His maps are created by creating brushes from the original Faerun maps - and that's not necessarily a good idea

This is a style created for the 3rd edition realms map. The cartography credits are Todd Gamble, Rob Lazzaretti and Dennis Kauth. I've tracked down both Rob and Todd's websites and neither have maps in quite that styke, so I have to assume the original was by Dennis Kauth. He doesn't have a website and seems to have fallen off the face of the earth a little. I believe all the lines are hand drawn in PS on one layer, and then a separate layer (or collection of layers) are used for a light watercolour fill. The original map in this style is here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd...rLarge_150.jpg
    You know what I've always hated about Forgotten Realms? How the map makes NO geological sense whatsoever. Seriously, no sense.

Well, it doesn't have to be an earth-like mountainous system.
    Lol, remember the Aranouch and the glacier on it? *MAGIC*

Quote Originally Posted by Gan View Post
    Well, it doesn't have to be an earth-like mountainous system.
    Lol, remember the Aranouch and the glacier on it? *MAGIC*
    Look at the Gobi desert, its northern parts are cold enough to support a glacier, in a mountain range.

True enough, but simple waving your hands and saying "magick" doesn't do it for me I need more sense