Thread: Banithia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Banithia

This map was mostly a challenge to myself. Firstly I wanted to make a map in a hand-drawn style without using any icons/brushes made by others. The other was to work with just one colour. I started out with black, but switched to white very quickly, which I think worked just as well, if not better.

I'm pretty happy with this, especially the mountains. This was my first time creating my own brushes and I think they turned out quite nice. The only thing not created by me is the background texture, for which the credit goes to coyotemax.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banithia.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	39180  

Definitely a cool look. Were the Ravenloft boxed set maps reversed out like this? Don't remember for sure but this sort of reminds me of them for some reason. Nice work!
    M

The only thing I would add is a light gaussian blur to take off the hard edges on the lines. Those always bother me for some reason :S.

Thanks for all the comments! I actually did do a gaussian blur around the shorelines, but not very strong, I found that blurring it more didn't really give the smoothness I was looking for, just made it more blurry . I'd have to check if I can find a method which makes the lines a little smoother, because I do see the problem.
    As for the 'different' background, I like the original version better. It's true that the lines don't 'pop' as much, but it feels more natural, like real paper.

Hmm ... I know what you mean. Gaussian can be quite hit-and-miss. Maybe a wand tool selection of the whites, 2 pixel reduction and some feathering or something ... anyway, a minor quibble for a cool map