Thread: RainOfSteel's Intro

Post RainOfSteel's Intro

Hello the guild!

I started reading Tolkien, of course. It was winter and early in the year of 1980. I was a major fan of the maps. I have been a fan of maps ever since.

That summer in 1980, a friend came along and said, "Want to play Dungeons & Dragons?" I asked what it was about. He said it was like Tolkien. Elves, dwarves, magic, etc. I went straight for that.

I have drawn numerous maps since then. Not one of which is in electronic format and I have never had a scanner.

I have tried CC2 and CC3 demos but they are very complicated and don't work the way I do. I have sat through twenty-part tutorials on YouTube and they're very good at explaining how to use CC3 to accomplish basic local mapping (like a jungle island, in the example I saw). I had a lot of trouble remembering the requirements and purposes of all those obscure dialog box options which needed to be changed as the project moves onward, in order to fulfill a certain look and feel (frankly, all settings for all elements of a certain look and feel should be pre-set under a single style name, but that's just me).

I have seen Hexographer and the black and white versions are still how many of my maps are drawn by hand when I do them. I have a strong nostalgia for the Expert rules and the maps in the Isle of Dread. I have not yet picked up this software, though.

I have also looked at many other software programs, including NBOS. Right now, if I were to buy software, it would probably be Astrosynthesis to go along with Factal Mapper (bit of an SF-leaning going on at the moment with me).

Currently, I am not engaged in any map-making projects. Sorry!

I have stopped by here to register due referrals on an EnWorld topic, and hope I will be able to utilize the available resources as time and inspiration come along.

Sincerely,

RainOfSteel

Blog Entries

Welcome, good to see you here and post some digi photos of the maps if you like. I am part of an interesting project to map middle earth and I hope that it will be available very soon now in 3D using some super latest tech being developed.

I'll keep an eye out.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild, no matter what you end up mapping with, post them when you get there
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise