Thread: Hi, I'm New

Default Hi, I'm New

Hi,i'm really glad to have stumbled upon this site, from what I've seen so far you guys have some really awesome maps. I'm an artist and dm more of the latter lately because I've got carpal tunnel. Despite this though I'm going to make some maps for my campaign. Additionally I was wondering what the rules were about using maps here in personal campaigns or on a virtual tabletop?

Welcome, welcome!

For carpal tunnel, I recommend a Wacom - they do wonders, since it's less of a forced position - and personally I got myself a trackball, because mice were causing me such pain I thought my thumb was going to fall off.

As for the maps, I think the rules are generally: ask politely unless someone explicitly allows it, and even then dropping a little thank you comment will make everyone feel that much better and give you a dose of good karma.

Blog Entries

As a programmer I have to watch out for Carpal as well and I use a trackball as well which I think is much better than a mouse. The main reason is that when I let go of the ball the cursor stays where it is but with a mouse when you let go it often moves a bit. So it requires constant muscle to keep the position static. If you have a day job and a personal amount of work then having switch between the two can be good too.

Using maps in personal campaigns. I would think that there could be no problem for anyone in that circumstance. The usual time that you need to definitely check is a) when you distribute the file as a print or online even in another forum. If you get permission then thats fine, if the file is public domain or creative commons then thats fine too - check the CC type. Look at peoples signatures. Like mine, often people state what the usual sharing options are. Sometimes we do commission work where we assign or otherwise limit the copyright to the commissioner where in that case we usually have more restrictive options for sharing. If the image has come from a published paid for source then its usually not a good idea to redistribute and I would also say probably less so if the artist is marked as an industry pro as well. These people tend to earn their living off of their art. But strictly, in all cases you need permission unless its granted to you by a statement (as in the CC case). You can always link to the image here if its posted but you may have to be a signed in member to see that.

and finally, welcome - hope you post more than once in a blue moon

@Lukc yeh actually I grabbed a wacom after I was diagnosed , not being used to digital art though I got kind of frustrated with it, but now that I've resigned myself to make some maps for the campaign I think I'm gonna dig it out and give it another shot .

@ Redrobes , Yeh, mouses really do make a difference laptop touchpads are the -worst- . No problem, asking permission sounds perfectly fair.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - had carpal tunnel some years ago I tend to take care - I think a wacom is a really good choice, although I'm still getting used to using mine. You may use any maps I post here for personal use without asking (I think a lot in here would say the same) - but its always nice to get a "I used your map - thanks".
    If you want to post maps somewhere online you always have to ask (unless noted specifically otherwise, like in a CC note) it is also the polite thing to do, we all like praise now and then
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise