Thread: Howdy from an old-school map maker

Default Howdy from an old-school map maker

Hello, cartographers!

I have been playing DND for nearly 30 years, and have always gone through great efforts to make the best maps I can. While sitting at my drawing table, with pencils, squares and the whole lot, I'm far from an amateur. However, the electronic age will soon be upon us, I'm told, so I'm trying to ease into it.

I have been using MapTools for about a year now, but I find I just can't make the maps as nice as my hand-drawn ones.

Until such time as I have such time to get good at the electronic side of this craft (which I can clearly see the benefits of), I will actually be leveraging this site for commissions. I am short on time, but not money, as I have a busy career.

I DM mostly in the Forgotten Realms, but I really don't like a lot of the new maps that Wizards and other peripheral companies are releasing. They always seem to be covered in magic circles and other warcraftesque abominations. Our campaigns have always been a bit more subtle than that, and actually tend towards the horror side a bit, despite some of the cartoonish elements of the Forgotten Realms as it is published now.

At any rate, if you are a working cartographer, feel free to solicit me; There are a number of maps that I would rather buy than make, and I am willing to pay reasonably for them.

Thanks.
    Kethoth.

It sure would! I'd love to see some other folks analog creations, I sometimes get overwhelmed by the sheer number of digitals here.

You probably mean dungeon maps, tho? Since you mention squares ... our rpg group is so old school, we don't even have squares. We have soggy cardboard boxes in the middle of the street.

I will get some posted as soon as I can get my wife to photo them! I'm still making 'analog' maps, which is a passion of mine. I just have more passions than I have time...

It's better to have more passions than time, than vice versa!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome on board, always nice to have another old-timer here ... there are more of us than you'd think ... we have a subforum for map making requests, so if you have specific requests you might post there. Personally I love battle maps - made a few myself, and are working on a lot more at the moment

Here are some maps for you if you can use them :
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ckyard-in-City
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...romancer-Tower
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-Room-of-Death
    And for fun: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...-of-Sugar-High
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise