Thread: Escaea - my first fantasy map

Default Escaea - my first fantasy map

Hello there everyone!

For the past 6 months (albeit I have been quite lazy) I have been working on a fantasy map. I found several good tutorials on these forums (especially for the mountains and forests) and put them to good use.

I'm quite happy with the outcome, although I found labeling too tedious. Coming up with good names is such a chore. What do you more experienced users think?

E: Toned down the border a bit, it was too bright.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	borderframe.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	39251  
    Last edited by tuore; 10-15-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

I liked your map. Only the yellow border did not apeal to my eyes. I especialy liked your work with the rivers. Take some rep =)

Mateus.

EDIT: What is the scale of the map?

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus090985 View Post
    I liked your map. Only the yellow border did not apeal to my eyes. I especialy liked your work with the rivers. Take some rep =)

Mateus.

EDIT: What is the scale of the map?
    I edited the image slightly and toned down the golden outlining, it was indeed a bit too bright.

I haven't thought of any exact scale, but it's slightly smaller than Westeros in A Song of Ice and Fire, ie. a bit smaller than South America.

Very nice! I love the mountains. Can I ask what texture(s) you used? They look amazing. The forests look good as well, though I think the borders of the forests could be a bit less 'neat'. A forest normally doesn't just stop somewhere, it looks more natural if there are some trees standing apart from the rest as well. I'd also make the 'box' at the bottom right a bit smaller so it isn't as close to the island, but that may just be a personal thing.

It could really use some labels. If not the cities, at least the countries. There are such big bold borders, but the blue is the border of what?