Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minduril WIP

Have you tried reducing the saturation of the water? The blue is a little... overwhelming.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    Have you tried reducing the saturation of the water? The blue is a little... overwhelming.
    Ok, i did that and worked on the shoreline and shelf, I'll wait till i get more down before posting another sample though, thanks.

Blog Entries

A bit more done, like the ocean but, still not satisfied with the mountains,, would've got further along but I have a bad back lately.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minduril.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	40093 I've begun some labelling, I also had done some rivers but didn't like them, I'll try using Inkscape for that. This has the Legend in the map but when i finish I'll leave that out since I'll be serving it with the IIpImage server and I have the legend on the webpage I'm doing. *shrug* slow but still working on it.

I'll soon start on adjacent maps for the entire world, then I'll see how hard it is to stich them and how big i can get before the image server melts.

P.S. yes, I changed the Ocean perhaps too blue again but, the more I looked at it the more i had the urge to attempt to make it similar to the blue marble image from NASA.
    Last edited by Revock; 11-20-2011 at 08:39 AM.

The water looks a lot better now... it seems it was the cloud texture that made the previous "dark" version so dominant.

Labeling looks nice. Are you experimenting to find some colour schema, or will you do the labels in these different colours?

Blog Entries

So far as Label colors go, pretty much water the way i have it here, major cities and capitals in the gold, And yet to be determined for other features. I've read Ascension's recommendations for label sizes and the like. Unfortunately I have a terrible habit of not writing things down that I've used, I've come across mountains and lakes messing with variations of some of the Tuts here that I loved the result of, only to fail to reproduce it again.

I don't like the idea of doing all the labels using "glossy" so if you have any ideas/favorites let fly.

I recommend nice, simple black labels with white outlines. So they don't detract from the artwork of the map itself. Glossy labels are a bit too showy for most maps ... they seem to shout, "Me! Me! LOOOK AT MEE!!!"

Awesome map, I like the colors a lot.

I like glossy labels that scream "LOOK AT ME" cuz sometimes it distracts the River Police. =)
    Last edited by bradlavario; 11-20-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    Brad LaVario: [ Home ] [ Blog ] [ Gallery ]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bradlavario View Post
    I like glossy labels that scream "LOOK AT ME" cuz sometimes it distracts the River Police. =)
    Nothing distracts the River Police from their duty. and you'd just be drawing the attention of the Good Taste Police on top of it. The Geology Police, Geodesy Police, Climate Police, or Economy police, you might stand a chance against though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12