Thread: Opinions on this

Default Opinions on this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santhia.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	793.1 KB 
ID:	39264

Here we go.

I think I placed most of the rivers ok; I'm unhappy about the mountains. I tried to do them in all the styles I know, but couldn't get a nice effect. I didn't make the scale, and the map is not finished yet.

So, what do you guys think about this piece of crap?

Bye bye Cartographers!

The mountains are too sparse. You could try to make them denser or to shadow their bases.

But it is definitly not crap. Don't sell yourself short!

Hey, it's not crap ... and the mountains aren't necessarily too sparse either. Just think back to some of those 16th, 17th century maps, where even the Alps are indicated by four, five little peaks. what I would do is actually kill off all the shadowing on the mountains and leave them just as black overlays, hinting at the vegetation therein ... though you'd need to add some white then as well or something. Hmm, ok, what I would really do is go off and hand-draw the mountains for a couple of hours, but hey ....

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yeah. I actually really like the texturing on the land and the seas. It's very subtle yet clear. Also the cities. As for the mountains - you'll work something out!

It's a nice start and it's definitely not crap. Just keep it up and you'll get there.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Views:	89 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	39306

I tried some effects on soft brushes. This crap (yes, it is) is what I've got.

Now the solutions are: keep on this way (by adding more effects and/or adjusting these ones) or using symbol mountains (obviously with more precision and color).

The problem is one: I did make the rest of the map with textures and just adding colors. Why doing the mountains in symbol-style?

Have a nice day!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi gan, I think the second map is much better, exactly cause the style of the mountains are more in sync with the rest of the map. Perhaps a little more depth (shadows) on the dark side of the mountains to make them stand out a bit more, but thats just my opinion. And I'd lighten the bright edge on the land a little to make it "mix" with the ocean more. But good work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I like the second mountains more as well!

Seconded. The textured variant fits a lot better in your map than the symbol version. You could try to raise the contrast of the mountains a little... make the shadows a little darker. But it is quite good as it is.

Views:	81 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	39325

First of all, thanks for the tips!

I don't know if this is good or not, but using these instead of the symbols looks better. Perhaps I should have used less fx on the mountains layer, I don't know... At the start I was going to make something similar to the Faerun map, but obviously I have no skills on that, and haven't even tried.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to finish the map in this way. Thank guys.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

even better mountains, still think the blue outline on the land masses is to bright though, but surely getting there
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise