Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first local cartography job!

Post My first local cartography job!

I never thought it would happen - a local customer finding my shop and desiring a fantasy map for an miniatures game (they didn't even know about Gamer Printshop, they were just checking out the local graphics shop - me...)

Anyway, I'm not sure what the game is yet, but I am creating a 36" x 48" printed and laminated map, using a 3 inch wide hex grid, where 1 hex = 50 feet.

I am creating a WW1 battleground scene for a biplane dog fighting game, that will be used at RockCon (Rockford, Illinois gaming convention).

Once I complete the map design, I'll upload it here for your perusal. Basically its two trenches one side is allied troops, the other the Germans, in between a "No Man's Land" which is where the fighting occurs over. I'll also include some cloud cover too.

Give me about a week for this...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

congrats.... may that be the first of many more!!

Link Thanks guys!

This is actually my second pro map-making gig. Its just my first "local" client for a gaming map - I'm deep in the heart of northern Illinois nowhere, about 90 miles from Chicago and Peoria, smack dab in middle of corn. The likelihood of acquiring local business for maps is pretty slim. Yet the guy came into my shop today for it. I was pretty amazed!

I created 3 maps for Dog House Rules, LLC's first fantasy mini-adventure called Quick Quests: Eggsellent Opportunity. It wouldn't be right for me to post the maps here as they are intended for use by DHR. But the product is a $5 PDF download if you consider ordering it.

Visit their news page which talks about the product with link to ordering and a link back to cartographersguild.com on the same page!

http://www.doghouserules.net/news.php

The map for the Biplane Dog Fighting Game is for a hosted game at Rockcon, by a game master, not a publisher, but its still a paying gig...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Cool, Gameprinter! That's awesome. Looking forward to seeing it.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Professional Artist

I would check your NDA and make sure that it's allowable for you to share the map with us first, but if it is it'd be interesting to see.

Congrats
    -Rob

Post Checked my NDA...

I checked my NDA with Dog House Rules - I retain total ownership of artwork and copyright. Since maps are already published, there is nothing that restricts me from posting them here so here they are...

3 maps - Griffin's Nest, Pegasi Nest, and Spider Haunt Valley.

These maps are in color, as that is the format I created them, however, DHR required grayscale maps only, so once I was completed I exported the map and converted it to grayscale. So you're seeing what the product doesn't have - full color versions.

Note also, because the maps were intended to be grayscale, the light grayish ground cover in the maps was deliberate so when converting to grayscale, it could be easily distinguished from the other elements of the map. So if it looks off, know that it was going to go gray so I optimized for the result.

Scales and any other anamolies in the terrain layout, elevations or element placement was completely within the direction of the published adventure, not my own discretion.

Regarding the WW1 Dog Fighting map there is no NDA, so no restrictions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	griffens-nest.jpg 
Views:	691 
Size:	303.0 KB 
ID:	2635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pegasi-tree.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	2636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiders-haunt.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	2637  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

beautiful maps GP, I especially like the last one, the overview of the area with the 10' increment... all well done and beautiful colors...

I'd voice a minor concern with the first one... if I knew what it was that was bugging me about that map... I can't really put a finger on it.. I'm not sure if its the altitude numbers that may be throwing me off but there is something... but its probably something that's really nothing... I can be a bit... nitpicky sometimes... a trait I find a bit annoying myself...

keep up the great work and maybe these will bring in more business... the gaming community is rather tight knit so word of mouth can sometimes be the best advertising. I do know a group of gamers there close to peoria... trying to think of the name of that town...it may be joliet... they game at least once a week and as far as I know use mini's .... If you want i'll throw your name out there and see if they may want something in the way of battlemaps...

Del

Wip Not quite done, but...

I mentioned above that I was working on a WW1 trench war battlefield for a dogfighting minatures game, well not quite finished, but the terrain is complete. I have add some tiny soldiers of German and Allied colors, some horses, carriages and cassons, no artillery (would be off map on either side), maybe a Model T ambulance, machine gun nests, a couple dead bodies, and a dead horse.

Oh the little round spots are supposed to be craters from artillery.

I've yet to add the grid and some cloud cover - after the ground is finished...

Note: at full scale the map is 36" x 48", 1 hex = 3" at 50'. This means a normal sized human is 1/10th of an inch in size. Barely of detail beyond helmet and body positions in appropriate color.

WIP so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trenchwar.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	2795  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-18-2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: mention of craters
    DrivethruRPG store

Really nice GP, but one comment: If there are craters in the ground and artillery is implied (although not visible on the map), wouldn't there be some artillery damage to the walls at either side of the battlefield? Some gaps, knocked-over sections, etc? Maye some char as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast