Thread: Hi from Hejira

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected Hejira's Avatar

Default Hi from Hejira

Hello to you all,
    I've been gaming (Mainly D&D, but a little Cthulu, Cyberpunk and Traveller) for well over 20 years now.
    My love of maps has been with me every step of the way. I remember having the luxury of a huge expanse of wall whilst at college, and putting up the full map of Waterdeep (From the Forgotten Realms world) it must have been about eight poster sized sections that all fitted together. Fantastic.
    I've always loved computers also, and I got Campaign Cartographer many years ago. Frankly it all seemed a little complicated at the time, but recently I purchased the latest edition and I've been playing with it quite alot now. I'll post a couple of my better maps soon.
    My next adventure will be set in a gladiatorial Arena. I'm looking for something that will fit into a small town setting, so nothing large and dramatic. It's got to be basic, down to earth kind of place where the main attraction is the fighting not the scenery. My inspiration is the recent TV show Spartacus.
    Anyway nice to talk to you.

Welcome, Hejira!

Yes, a large expanse of wall is a tempting thing for we map-addicted. One of the first offices I worked in alone had a huge expanse of blankness... soon nicely mappified by a mosaic of about 5 x 7 USGS 1:24,000 topo quads of Colorado mountains. :-)

Hey, don't simplify yuour arena too terribly much......... a simple pit in the wilderness would do for Just Fightin' ... no, you need the pens where various animals are kept, the vast swath of spectator seating, the prominent spot for the prominent citizen to give thumbs up or down, the section for the brass band or bagpipe chorus, the fried weasel-on-a-stick vendor carts, the armory, the gladiator dorms or cells, the guardposts, the moneychangers and bettor corner, the VIP balcony, the rodeo clown barrels, the crumbled wall where in '26 the Bogniferian Contingent mounted and tried to take over the stands, before being smitten by a convenient bit of directed lightning (one only THINKS those lightning rods atop the walls are fore protection - HA), the Ford and Chevy dealership adverts on the walls, and on and on. Small town? Well, maybe only a Ford dealer, and only one guy with a tuba instead of The Massed Pipes. Still ....

INteresting possibilities, an arena.

Anyway - can't wait to see what you come up with!

Also don't forget the vicious animal pits, the amulet salesman, the gypsy fortune-teller next to the better, the priest-and-undertaker services, McOgres burger franchise, vomitoria and lavatoria and nearby public baths ...

also welcome.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - happy mapping
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise