Thread: Ardellia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Ardellia

Hey all,

I've come up with the regional map I'll be using for my 4e homebrew setting. There are some things I'm not entirely happy with, but I'm overall pleased with it.

What do you guys think?

cheers,

Rwaluchow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ardellia Regional Map.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	2630  

Blog Entries

Oh yes very nice. I hope there are some villages offering ferry services across those inlets ! That must be a few 10's of miles stretch there - well at least a few miles at any rate.

Particularly like the mountains !

I agree with Redrobes: the mountains are very nice. I like this map! Well done.

I wonder if there need be some visible reason the badlands stop and the woodlands begin at that border? That may be a nice nod to reality, although not really necessary, for we can assume the soil gets rockier, more arid, etc. (Just grasping at straws to give you some ideas...)

Good work!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Wow rwaluchow, I like your mapping style--it keeps getting better and better.

I did have a few minor quibbles. The font you are using is evocative, but you may want to fade some of the features on the map a bit. The Blightmire Marsh and Marishen labels are a bit hard to read since they do not contrast well with the features they are over.

Also, you may want to figure some way to brighten or emphasize the road. When it enters the Acacian Woodlands, it literally disappears! (Of course, if the road is overgrown, then this map "flaw" might actually be a feature ).

This is more personal preference than anything else, but you may want to make the hills more "c" like and semicircular when they are near mountains like the Shadow Peaks or the Thorgrims. Right now, you have an abrupt transition from very high peaks to slightly curvy lines--I'd change that and put more "c" like lines inbetween to moderate the transition--but thats just me.

Great map overall though, keep at it rwaluchow.

That is indeed a very nice map. I have nothing to offer that has not already been said.

This map style is very reminiscent of Sarah Wroot's style for Dying Earth.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Very nice map indeed. Although when I blink I get the sense that the two rivers north of Ardellon are one river that flows behind a mountain. There are no other rivers that could take my assumtion away that in your map the rivers do not flow behind the mountains. Speaking of the mountains, I agree they are nicely done.

It looks cool,

It the kind of made that seem to have been made 15 min prior to the game because the players want to know where they are. But I'm sure that it took longer than that.

Do some of the changes the other guys told you about and it should become a great map.

A city map done in this style too should be great to see. Maybe one the ferry town you should add.

Continue your great work,
    Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

The way its colored reminds me of the old maps from the 2nd ed Ravenloft boxed set.

It gives of a kind of "gloom and Doom" feel. If its supposed to be either a War-torn nation or anything to that effect, then bravo, because not only does it look awesome, but is able to covey the felling of the region at the same time.

And its very sharp and easy on the eyes.

All around its very nice work!