Thread: Hand Drawn plateau...

Help Hand Drawn plateau...

So, some time since my last post here as I have been a little busy, but now I'm back to work on some projects

Anyway, the thing is that I'm having some trouble while doing a map from my state (RS - Rio Grande do Sul) in Brazil. I need to do some plateaus in the hand drawn style, but I oviously cant use the mountain brushes I've used on my other maps, so I was wondering if you guys could help me, how can I do a group of plateaus (or a REALLY big plateau, as it is almost all the north of my state)?

Thank you for any help and sorry for any english mistake,

Now those are nice mountains ...

Guild Journeyer

Do a search for merp maps, or maps by Peter Fenlon or ICE or Middle-earth. By far the greatest fantasy cartographer, bar none. Best Mountains ever. Surely you have seen his work before?

To me it depends on the scale you are looking for. A-cliffside-Adobe-city is one that I did showing a city in the face of the cliff leading up to a plateau. It might be to close up for what you need but might generate some ideas.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Hmm, I am looking for kind of big scale, as it is an entery state (I'm not sure how many km², but its pretty big). I think that the Galendae's ideia is good, and actually I was thinking about doing this way, but I had to ask here because sometimes you guys here have some ideias I wouldnt have.

BTW, I saw once a tutorial for this style, Does anyone have the link for it?

@Jaxilon: A great map this cliffside city, unfortunately this style do not match my scale as I said (I could use it but too much work, it would take too much time, and I dont have it at the moment ). But you gave me an ideia, to draw a city like you did , might try this after I finish this one.

Hi, I'm sure there is a tut on this somewhere, but what you could if you want a top-down view and are using Photoshop:
    1. create a brush of something like a tear-shape.
    2. edit the brush: set spacing to 200% and shape-dynamics / angle-jitter to "direction"
    3. create path(s) and stroke them without pen-pressure
    4. you get something like below

cheers, DJ

edit: hmmm, attachments not working...

Last edited by Djekspek; 10-19-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Hmm, pretty good this one you did DJ.

I dont have a view for my map yet, as I can use both top-down view or the one I use on my usual maps (wich I dont know the name in english =/). So I'll give it a try and see what looks better too me,

Thank you all guys, still any new ideas are welcome