Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Unnamed World Map

Guild Novice

Alright, 2 days later, 2 more maps. I've created a step-by-step for myself to replicate the results of the first map, and I am thrilled! Now I can ensure uniformity in the look of the whole world. Only 75 maps to go, and they should be a breeze!
    PEACH
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sector_41_terrain.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	39634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sector_42_terrain.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	39635

Looks great DD, wouldn't it be wonderful if you could record everything as an action, put in the coastline and have the finished map pop out at the end! One (very small suggestion - not sure it's too late now). I like the bevel on the coastline, but it's of a uniform height along the entire coastline. Not sure if this will work (or if it's possible, given your layers etc), but it may be worth having an identical unbevelled map below the bevelled one and just erasing bits of the bevelled map to give the coast some variation.

I really like the overall painterly style of the map though.

Guild Novice

Well, it's a great suggestion, and it's not too late until the map goes to print. That could work, I think. I might even have an idea of how to do it, too. I'm thinking, render clouds, delete black (or white), then use the remaining selection to delete the beveled edge of the above map. Hmm... may have to do the bevels on their own fill-less layers, rather than having duplicates of the whole thing... The original purpose of the bevel was to emulate some erosion around the rivers, actually, and not necessarily the coast. I've read a lot of people use Wilber or something to simulate erosion effects, right? Or something like that... anyways, does anyone have any other thoughts on how to "cheat" it in Photoshop?

You make some good points about the actions, and I had thought about it some time ago. For things like adding layer styles and rendering clouds and whatnot, that'd be pretty easy. Placing mountains, rivers, and coloring obviously would still need to be manually done, but having some automatic features would be a real time-saver methinks. I'll have to experiment and see which things I can automate and which I can't.

Guild Novice

Ravells, you are a life-saver! Actions are the BEST! I'm churning out a map about every 60 minutes, now, as opposed to 2 hours. Placing rivers is still the most time consuming step of the whole process, though.

Glad to be of service! I'm pretty sure that you can't simulate erosion effects in photoshop (I just don't think it's geared that way). Wilbur OTOH is designed for that, but your method to get rid of the uniform bevel sounds cool.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Before you finish, put all of the maps together and airbrush the transitions at the edges so that they mesh perfectly. Right now you can really see it in the deserts. Then chop em all up again if you want.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Ascension, I plan to. I've been pulling in the finished images onto the borders of the new maps to make sure that mountain placement, coloring, rivers, etc are all identical or close enough to match up each sector. Also, though I planned for a 100 px overlay between sections, I actually ended up with a 200px, which is better, because it gives me more room to blend the maps how I'd like.

Here are the same two maps from above, merged together with the altered coastline. I think it looks a lot better, and actually the cloud effect made random neat contours on the land, too, to break up the hills and elevations in the mountains a bit more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sector_41-42.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	994.8 KB 
ID:	39711

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Gotcha; looks pretty good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I really like the look and thanks for the guide you attached earlier, very interesting reading.

Korba

Guild Novice

No prob. And thank you for the praise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast