Thread: Greetings from the Lowlands

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Applicant Facebook Connected Oscar Strik's Avatar

Default Greetings from the Lowlands

Hello everyone,

thought I'd post a short introduction as well as lurking around.

I'm 26, a linguistics graduate student in the Netherlands. My interest in maps goes way back to dreaming up imaginary worlds as a kid, and later drawing up maps for roleplaying games.

I never really seriously devoted time to computer-assisted cartography beyond trying a few basic programs, but that might change in the future. I love the work I'm seeing here!

I'm interested in many kinds of maps basically, and the geomorphological background of terrain. Of particular interest to me (currently) are alternative planetary maps (for example, Mars with oceans!), general maps of fantastic lands, and schematic maps of all sorts of possible concepts (stars, political constellations, etc.)

I'm also interested in cartography related to my research. I'd like to create maps to assist research into studying communication and contact patterns between people and settlements, and how these are determined and influenced by terrain. I'm thinking of communication through land travel, river travel, seafaring, mountains dividing countries, and the like. Since the spread of language and language change is my main area of research, I figure some sidetracking into geography and cartography might be useful to me.

regards,

O

Welcome!

So, what languages in particular are you studying?

My research focuses on Swedish and Frisian as case studies, but basically all Germanic languages when it comes down to it, because I am studying strong/irregular verbs in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Strik View Post
    My research focuses on Swedish and Frisian as case studies, but basically all Germanic languages when it comes down to it, because I am studying strong/irregular verbs in particular.
    Cool, I was in Leeuwarden this summer with some Dutch friends for Into the Grave ... we all got "slightly tipsy" (cough cough right cough just slightly cough), but fortunately we had a local along who helped us (got us lost in a maze of small streets).

Welcome . In what city do you study? I'm curious because I study in Utrecht myself and take some courses from the Linguistics master there

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I work in Groningen, by the way.

Welcome, can't have enough Dutch mappers groeten uit Den Haag! cheers, DJ

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - looking forward to seeing what you come up with
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome . In what city do you study?