Thread: [Rite Publishing] Frozen Wind - Free Kaidan Adventure

Default [Rite Publishing] Frozen Wind - Free Kaidan Adventure

Frozen Wind is a free PDF download, one-shot adventure module for use in Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story for Pathfinder Roleplaying Game - just in time for a Halloween promotion. This adventure was originally a convention scenario created by Jonathan McAnulty for Origins.

Frozen Wind

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frozen-wind-cover-design-thumb.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	39353

"Winter is not coming, it is here!"

Trekking along the high mountain trail five lonely travelers find themselves in grave danger. Caught in a fierce and unseasonal snowstorm, they must take shelter in Miyamakoori Monastery, a shrine of the yamabushi, located within a crevice near thesummit of a mountain. The yamabushi shrine offers the only refuge for travelers along the highland trail. On this night, however, a powerful spirit of Jigoku, and her demonic entourage, has come to settle an old agreement between the abbot and herself. As a cold and unspeakable darkness falls upon the monastery, the travelers must use all the resources at their disposal to survive...

"Frozen Wind" is a one-shot adventure for five characters at 5th level designed for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Author: Jonathan McAnulty
    Artist: Michael Tumey
    Pages: 29
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Nice. Good luck with it! I was just fondling the new Pathfinder Samurai mini from Reaper at the local game store last night. $11 is steep but it's a nice one. I keep wanting to run a "Japanese" game.
    M

M - it's a one-shot game with 8 different pregens for a 5 player scenario, some of the rooms in the monastery are keyed to certain pregen background tie-ins to the storyline. So you don't have to commit to a Japanese game, just run it as is as a one-shot. It's free, so no additional commitment on your part is required. Sure it's chock full of Kaidan product ads in back - hopefully some convert over to playing in Kaidan, and use this module as a leap into Kaidan, and buy some products.

Anyway, we got our first 5 star review. I have to admit that we didn't run this through editing, rather the author and I did that ourselves to save money - and there are spelling/grammatical errors in it still, that need to be fixed. That said, it's a good fun adventure. It's kind of sandbox, working within the framework of a 3 event Act structure. When a certain event occurs, it triggers a change into the next act. Each of the rooms have a different description of events, based on which Act is occuring at the time the PC's are in that room.

The temperature is dropping by the hour into subzero levels which affect overall play forcing characters to need to seek to relight the fires, while fighting frozen zombies, oni ice demons, and other worse things. The pregens lack any healer types giving this a more survival horror intent. If you don't use pregens, the lack of a healer in the party greatly enhances the horror into its design. Plus some of the pregens use one of Kaidan's new class archetypes, granting special abilities to those pregen characters for the scenario - cool stuff.

It was designed as a Con game for Origins, and Jonathan who wrote and ran the demo games said it took about 3.5 hours the 3 times he ran it. With a bit more exploration some time could be added if necessary. There is a point based Scoring System optional instead of gaining XP which is pointless in a one-shot game, with an included Score Sheet and other GM aids in the appendix. Though encounter XP is still provided.

And Frozen Wind just got it's first review of 5 stars, by Dawn Fischer both on Paizo and DriveThruRPG, and she made it a point to mention it's almost totally in full color map and illustrations which is rare in a free RPG product. So hopefully it gives a good impression of Kaidan.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-21-2011 at 04:28 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Frozen Wind has earned two more 5 star ratings - 3 total. All agree this makes for a great one-shot for Halloween, but doesn't feel like a one-shot rather like a full commercial adventure.
    DrivethruRPG store

So, where can we see it? I can't seem to find it ...

The title of the Adventure in gold in the first post is a direct link, however here it is parsed for you directly: http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/r/r...y/reviews#tabs

This is on the Paizo boards, but is also available through DrivethruRPG... http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=95894

Michael "GP" Tumey
    DrivethruRPG store

Thanks ever so much!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Congratz GP!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks, SG! I'll try to stop patting myself on the back, but last point, Frozen Wind is listed as Free Product of the Week for this week's newsletter from RPGNow/DrivethruRPG - woot!

This link will only be good for this week... Newsletter

I know it's a free product, so I can't make me any money with it, but for the purposes of exposure a free product is meant to attract interest. By making it as free product of the week, it's just casting a wider net!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-28-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Very nice, thanks.