Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanner recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Scanner recommendations

An arty friend is looking to get a scanner and was looking for recommendations. Any scanners people would recommend - or ones to avoid?

I'm fond of the Canon CanoScan LiDE models for general use. They are relatively inexpensive and completely USB powered (just plug the scanner into the USB port and it's ready to go). They are also fairly lightweight and use a row of LEDs on the scan bar for the light source, meaning that they are fairly indestructible. They don't come with fancy extras like document feeders, but I guess it's a matter of usage patterns. I mostly use mine for doing salvage scans on old photographs (48-bit RGB scans at 1200+dpi to ensure that I get all of the information in the photo; it's easy to reduce, but hard to get back lost detail), but it also works well for scanning handwritten pages and the occasional flower, insect, or slab of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I'm fond of the Canon CanoScan LiDE models for general use. They are relatively inexpensive and completely USB powered (just plug the scanner into the USB port and it's ready to go). They are also fairly lightweight and use a row of LEDs on the scan bar for the light source, meaning that they are fairly indestructible. They don't come with fancy extras like document feeders, but I guess it's a matter of usage patterns. I mostly use mine for doing salvage scans on old photographs (48-bit RGB scans at 1200+dpi to ensure that I get all of the information in the photo; it's easy to reduce, but hard to get back lost detail), but it also works well for scanning handwritten pages and the occasional flower, insect, or slab of meat.
    Exactly the one I was going to suggest! It is also thin enough I can slip it into my notebook case if need be, and the USB power means no power brick to haul along.

-Rob A>

Default OFF TOPIC rant reply

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    and the USB power means no power brick to haul along.
    Why is it that computer companies are "just about" the only ones who get the concept of an INLINE transformer instead of one at the end attached to the to the prongs you plug into an outlet/power supply? I mean it blows my mind that so many electronic devices have a transformer built into the plug that is 2+ square inches and most of the time end up covering TWO plug slots on power supplies(and by this I mean like surge protection strips to "multiple" the number of available outlets")
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Default OFF TOPIC rant reply to the OFF TOPIC rant reply

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Why is it that computer companies are "just about" the only ones who get the concept of an INLINE transformer instead of one at the end attached to the to the prongs you plug into an outlet/power supply? I mean it blows my mind that so many electronic devices have a transformer built into the plug that is 2+ square inches and most of the time end up covering TWO plug slots on power supplies(and by this I mean like surge protection strips to "multiple" the number of available outlets")
    Hence the brilliance of both the Power Squid and the Power Strip Liberator or just simply an 8" extension cord !

(Not sure if there are non NEMA 5-15P version of these for other countries...)

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hence the brilliance of both the Power Squid and the Power Strip Liberator or just simply an 8" extension cord !

(Not sure if there are non NEMA 5-15P version of these for other countries...)

-Rob A>
    Hmmm yea... seen the power squid before, but not the liberator which is pretty cool. But thats a) one more thing I have to find, b) one more thing to buy once I find it, and c) adding an intermediary "adapter" product just points to flawed design that should be fixed..... Anyway, thanks for the link to the liberator... that's rather handy for all of the existing power strips and block transformers I already have.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Holy cow that sounds nice. The one I have is the size of a small fridge It's a Dell 962 all in one deal so it is also a color printer, copier etc. On the bright side I got it for FREE from a buddy of mine.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Here's my vote for the LiDE as well. I've got one and it's great, the USB powering thing is perfect and since I'm not scanning large quantities of stuff, it's more than enough for my needs. Plus it goes to 4800 DPI unless I'm mistaken. More than enough to make a "landmass" out of a gravy stain!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks guys - those are good recommendations.

Flawed design is going to be with us for a long time to come ... just think of feet and inches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast