Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March Entry: Ran Dum's Deadly Dungeon

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I used two different pens, KOH-I-NOOR 1 (.5) and 0 (.35)

I like the look, but the crosshatching would kill me to do by hand. Really nice.

In fact, if able to do it on a blank sheet of paper (perhaps tracing over top of the graph paper), I think that it could be a really good entry. (Of course, I am partial to black-and-white line drawings.)

I too have always been partial to black and white/pen and ink drawings, I don't really know why, but I do like the simplicity that it exudes.

I won't lie to you... it wasn't exactly easy on the hand to do. I'm drawing a new one now that is a little larger (10"x10" roughly) on drawing paper. I wanted it a little bigger so I could add some of the detail that the random map states needs to be present...plus a little flourish as well..

I just hope i can scan it in.. and if I have to scan it in half... that I can piece it back together so it looks right .... that may be the most difficult challenge of all of this.

Wip Pen and Ink

Ok ... here is the updated 10" pen and ink... gotta jet to work so I can't get into too much detail... but there's a dung pile with a baby otyugh, a forge made out of a giant skull... a beholder carving... (can't see it because it's on the side of the map that's cut off) ....

Any feedback at all??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0007.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	2798  

Wip Full Image

Ok.. here's the full image, had to scan both sides and splice them together using PSP ... actually did a great job of it I think.. you can hardly tell where the splice is...

I'll do a little further explaining when I get a key up to identify some of the symbols I used... I was thinking another map with some labels to help identify some of the things (that way I don't have to write on my pretty map..

I guess feedback is hard to comeby in the challenge thread... oh well... I'll keep pluggin' away.

Name:	Full_Dungeon.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	2808  

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    I guess feedback is hard to come by in the challenge thread... oh well... I'll keep plugging' away.
    I don't think it's the challenge thread the problem.
    It has more to do with the fact that so many of us are participating, which left us less time to chat around.

Also for my own part and fault , I'm getting tired of telling everyone of how great their works or their ideas are: I feel like a cheap praiser. I now try to only tell about specific creativity idea (like rob multi levels idea).

But for 1 more time : I like the old young gamer feel of your map. Like the ones I was doing back then.

Take care and continue you good work,
    Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

I forgot:

Unless I miss it, i little story of the map o of the thread idea would be great.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Map

Ran Dum's Deadly Dungeon and Legend...

The foul wizard Ran Dum is the adventurer's bane. For centuries he has created and placed seemingly chaotic and illogical dungeons filled with all manner of traps, beasts and denizens. Here, he strikes again:

Room 1 features Himool the elf warrior and his quarters. complete with an altar, weapons rack, training dummy, desk, sleeping mat and rug.

Room 2 lairs a nasty krenshar, previous meals left lying in the corner along with some gear. A giant stone table of Dwarven make and a large bas relief of a beholder are the other major dominant characteristics.

Room 3 contains boxes and some spices as well as a particular large heap of dung that currently houses a baby otyugh. A small altar and water basin line the eastern wall and an ancient and faded summoning glyph dominates the central floor. (Perhaps even Ran's summoning circle?)

Room 4 is complete with a few spiders that have nested in the north-eastern corner of the room. An empty coffin sits to make adventurers sweat a little... a large table with a complete set of nasty devices such as a saw, knife, cleaver, hook, shears and oddly enough; a tray with a dining set of utensils. A cage sits in the SW corner with manacles fixed to the wall and a foreboding message is scrawled on the floor.

Room 5 is where the formian blacksmiths pound away at the forge. A Giant's skull dominates the room and has been converted into a full blown forge with a large pillar in the center that acts as a chimney. A coal bin in the back to feed the forge and raw ore nearby to the west of the forge keep the formians busy, busy, busy.

And that pretty much covers this month's challenge entry for me. Unless someone points out something I may have forgotten or has a suggestion. The map was completely done by hand with pen and ink (koh-i-noor 6x0, 00, 0, 1) on a 10"x10" piece of sketch pad. And yes, my hands hated me for that thatch work but I love to do it, so I told my hands to just deal and keep moving

Happy Mapping!!

P.S. The third thumbnail is a png if you don't mind the file size to view it.

Name:	Full-Dungeon-Scan_Final.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	2816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dungeon-Map-Legend.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	2817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Full-Dungeon-Scan.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	4.65 MB 
ID:	2818  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast