Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much plausible is this map from the game Just Cause 2?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Default How much plausible is this map from the game Just Cause 2?

Attachment 38662

I consider this map a very weel made one, but I was thinking if it is only stetically beautfull or if it is also plausible as it represent a fictional island in Earth.

Thougths?

Mateus
    Last edited by Mateus090985; 09-22-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Guild Journeyer

The whole region is very small, though that's understandable for game mechanics.

And there are a bunch of apparent rivers connecting two coasts. That's not possible for real rivers. It's physically possible if they're sea inlets, but makes little geographic sense.
    I am a geology nerd.

Yes, the two "problems" things that I was thinking was "rivers" as you have said and mountains. There are almost no "real" rivers on the map, only divisons beteween pieces of tha main lands. I dont remember if the game put small rivers in the island that are not represented on this big map.

Visually is really cool, but it does have the "realistic" issues mentioned abode. Watch out for the River Police!

Guild Novice

It's extremely plausible ... for a map of a video game locale. In terms of realism what seems the most unrealistic to me is the capital city situated on the four separate islands connected by the extensive system of bridges. Altho, it'd be cool if that did exist in real life! Do you get to drive around on all of those awesome roads in the game?

Guild Journeyer

Look at New York, Miami, Venice for similar significant cities on islands (albeit not capitals). It doesn't seem too implausible. It may be even more likely if the capital is fairly new, and the location is basically for showing off.
    I am a geology nerd.

As pointed out the hydrology is the craziest bit.
    - What look like rivers going to multiple sea points
    - What look like deltas (or maybe just are supposed to be swamps?) that have formed in situations where deltas would never have formed (sediment deposits from rivers) as bizarre scales
    - "river" widths look way to large using the other visual indicators and features as a scale (since there is no scale).

Also the roads look like a mess of spaghetti. Roads are expensive and effort intensive to build and many seem to go all over the place in rough looking terrain for no reason other than to look cool, it seems.

BUT - since it is a "fantastical" (if not fantasy) world, none of these points are really that relevant.

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer

There's no scale indicator, but the scale can be inferred since grid positions are given for the locations. (OK "m" could be metres or miles, but considering the size of the runways, and that the cloverleafs are visible, it must be metres).

In the game the place is ruled by a dictator (not sure how long it's been that way for), which may rationalise the roads to nowhere.
    I am a geology nerd.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well it passes the "looks cool" test but all too often people start and stop with that and never think out what they are doing. Of course, many people don't even know where to begin with thinking about the sorts of things we try to teach here at The Guild...they just hire an artist to "make something cool" and that's exactly what they get. So kudos for that, I guess.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by ramseyhong View Post
    It's extremely plausible ... for a map of a video game locale. In terms of realism what seems the most unrealistic to me is the capital city situated on the four separate islands connected by the extensive system of bridges. Altho, it'd be cool if that did exist in real life! Do you get to drive around on all of those awesome roads in the game?
    Yes, you do. Or you can fly a chooper or airplane, or a boat =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast