Thread: WIP - Sekai

Default WIP - Sekai

Hello! First post here. I was wanting some assistance. I have just started getting a bit more "into" mapmaking, because I'm making a map for a fantasy game of mine.

I think sharing every step of the process might be useful. Then you can give me tips. My main problem was seamlessly integrating the forests with the mountains, so I don't have these obvious lines between those layers. I think I was successful, but perhaps too much so? Not sure.

Also, is it normal for the coniferous forests to melt into the deciduous in the north, or does that not happen in the real world at all? Sorry for the stupid question.

Any other tips and suggestions would be very welcome. Such as, should I keep those elevated regions in the coastline? Are my mountains ugly? Do the desert edges blur too much? And so on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sekai_2_map.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	523.4 KB 
ID:	39327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sekai_test.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	39328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sekai_test_2.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	39329  

Blog Entries

I'm from Pennsylvania, US yes we have a mix of deciduous and conifers here, although the mountains aren't like the rockies, but i expect the steeper mountains follow the same patern.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Some of the colors are a bit bright (for my tastes), but otherwise its looking good so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I agree with Steel General, but I think it might be because you've got that black outline of the coast? Those mountains, though? Absolutely sublime. The trees? ... not so much. They're too bumpy, and they look too large. The sea definitely needs work, too, but you probably know that already.