Thread: Hello everybody

Post Hello everybody

Hi everyone I've been looking around for a site like this for a long time. I've always enjoyed drawing/creating maps. My brother is an aspiring author and writes amazing stories but the intricate worldbuilding itself is a passion of mine and I like to build the worlds for him around his initial ideas. I believe a good map could generate it's own story. Having no exp with digital maps before, I've been wanting to learn how to make them for awhile now and finally found this site with its amazing tutorials and helpful people. Hopefully I'll learn to make some kickass maps in the future!!

Welcome, Rascal. If you've got a head full of worldbuilding just waiting to be depicted, you're halfway there already. If you see styles you like, why don't you tackle a tutorial or three, posting work in progress as you go? You'll get plentiful suggestions and advice, and (selfishly) I plan to learn from you as well. You see, there's pretty much no mapper the rest of us can't learn SoMeThInG from, maybe even especially newbies -- you'll have your own unique ideas of how to do things I'm sure.

Do you already have some graphical tools at hand, or will this be an excuse to get some? The best projects always call for new tools, whether from the hardware store or the internet :-)...

And yeah, maps generate stories -- I tend to start with a map, and let my tiny people face whatever situations the terrain deals them.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thx there r lots of cool style maps here I've been checking out. Tools wise I've started familiarizing myself with GIMP(awesome cuz its free) and been devouring any tutorials I can find in my spare time(RobA's is great). I have access to photoshop through my college but have to use their comps which r really occupied most of the time.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave