Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Map Style Experiment - Human Village

Guild Apprentice

Autorealm allos you to make orthographic layouts like that. You could set up your graph and save it as an image and use it as a back layer for your map and produce versions with and without the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoon View Post
    That looks awesome. Do you know where I could get a grid like that for GIMP? I couldnt even find an image of a similar one on google.
    I don't. I had to make it myself. I shall attach it for you but it is a .psd. I think GIMP can open psd's but if it can't, I can convert it to a different file format for you.

Essentially, all I did was make a few vertical lines and then use the transform tool to rotate them 30 degees and then -30 degrees. Alter if you want a dimetric perspective or whatever. Then cut so they are seamless and define pattern. Then use a pattern fill layer.

The attached image is seamless. so it just need to be applied as a pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30degree-20px-isometricgridpattern.psd  

Guild Member

Beautiful style! I love it.
    Are you coloring this or leaving it B&W?

I am currently in the process of colouring it but it's taking a while. Also, the grid won't be on the final version.

As someone asked me how I've been going about doing this, I threw something together quickly. I've attached an image with the steps on it.

1) I make a new image in Photoshop and create a pattern fill layer using the isometric pattern I made. Save it as a PSD and then open it in SAI (SAI can read pattern layers and stuff, but can't make them).
    I then use a 6px light grey brush and sketch in the basic shapes of buildings and whatnot on a seperate layer using my grid lines as guides for my angles and proportions.

2) On a new layer, I use a 4px pen to draw in my lines, adding little details. Really, all you are doing is making a box with a triangle on top look a bit prettier.

3) I put in the basic colours although I will often have a palette in mind before starting. In this case, I didn't. =P I colour things on different layers, so the ground is on one layer, the trees on another and so on.

4) I decide on which direction the light is coming from (in this case, directly from the right) and begin shading the buildings.

5+6) If I am hand painting shadows on a map like this, I cheat. On a new layer, I just paint in some black and then lower the layer opacity. I will also save the image and open it in photoshop, then use some gaussian blue on the shadows. But in this case, I was doing it quick so I didn't bother.

You can also turn off the grid at this point, although if you like it, I guess you could rasterize the grid layer in photoshop and erase it where it covers the buildings so you've just got it on the ground.

7) I add more colour and details depending on how much work I want to put in. I add a little texture to the ground too.

If I'm not happy with how my colours are looking, I will edit them using the image adjustment tools in photoshop (which is why it's good to colour different things on different layers), so I might add more saturation or increase the contrast. Sometimes I will want harsher shadows, etc etc.

One thing I do when making a new map like this one is create a new layer, set it to overlay and set the opacity to something like 10-20%. On this layer, I will fill it with a pattern, often a rust texture or similar. It gives the whole image some texture. I do it at the beginning though, not at the end like on this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorialhv.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	264.8 KB 
ID:	39712  

I always love these step-by-step images! They are so helpful in helping folks like me develop their style and process, and this is a great style. Thanks, Larb! consider yourself repped!

Edit: Er, looks like I have to spread some more rep around before I hit you up again!

Thanks for the grid and the mini-tutorial!

A little update here.

I've blocked in all the basic colours. I've not removed the grid yet, dunno why but I'll do that next. The colour scheme is fairly basic right now, but after I shade in all the colours properly, I intend to import it into photoshop and I'm considering either a sunrise or sunset scheme, so I can add lights to the windows and things (this is why I said to put everything on separate layers in one of my above posts, it makes doing such a breeze!). At least, I'll try it. Maybe I'll do two versions, a day and a near-night, and see how they turn out.

I did consider adding something to the north-west corner of the map, but I'll probably cut most of that or use it for the map key. Also, I am considering adding people, but I dunno. It's all very rough right now!

That looks amazing! Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Guild Apprentice

This is a fantastic piece of art, I've been following along and can't wait to see how it turns out. The style is gorgeous and very well executed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast