Thread: FT 3 Update to 3.09 released - looks like waldronate has been hard at work! THANK YOU

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default FT 3 Update to 3.09 released - looks like waldronate has been hard at work! THANK YOU

A quick glance through the list of bug fixes since 3.0.0 is very positive!

Thanks waldonrate!

FT3 Update 3.0.9

Fixes since 3.0.0:

3.0.1 Tool Incise_flow script command fixed.
    3.0.1 Registration writes serial key to correct place.
    3.0.2 Save command allows saving of unmodified command (later removed again)
    3.0.2 Fixed export of Cosmographer 3 template.
    3.0.2 Cosmographer 3 export saves image as PNG file.
    3.0.3 Save As command not working fixed.
    3.0.3 Climate selector toolbar not working fixed
    3.0.4 Fixed hang when loading brush presets.
    3.0.4 Should have more reasonable defaults for painting tools.
    3.0.4 Should fix gradient painting values (wasn't reading toolbar data).
    3.0.5 Increased screen render resolution to 6000x6000 from 2048x2048.
    3.0.6 Fixed color interpolation for altitude and other items when picking
    highest or lowest values.

3.0.6 Fixed missing line segments where lines crossed viewport boundaries
    (made it hard to assemble multiple files into a single large segment).

3.0.6 Modified renderer to reduce the amount of bad shading at the bottom
    row and right column of images.

3.0.6 Sheets setup wasn't being read back from xpt files.
    3.0.7 Climate selector toolbar items now correctly set image overlay color
    (for simple create mode).
    3.0.7 Climate selector toolbar items now correctly sync the climate paint
    toolbar selection.
    3.0.7 Fixed a crash bug on exit after painting image overlays.
    3.0.8 Fixed color to altitude selection tool.
    3.0.8 Fixed pick button on color to altitude conversion dialog.
    3.0.8 Fixed problem with starting FT given a command-line ftw file name
    that would cause a GPF.
    3.0.8 Added Wilbur advanced paintbrush setup dialog. Activated via "C"
    button on painting toolbars.
    3.0.9 Added "exepath" registry entry on FT3 execution.
    3.0.9 Updated help index to remove CC2 entries
    3.0.9 Fixed broken image in Create Overlay help topic
    I've bolded the fixes that will make the biggest difference to me....thank you for addressing them so promptly!

I only did some of those items; the thanks also go to the rest of the ProFantasy team that has been hard at work on the product.

Alas - on Windows 7 64x, 24gb ram, - while it can load a previously made file, the program is now crashing a)whenever I try to export multiple images and b)whenever I try to create a brand new map.

Quote Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
    Alas - on Windows 7 64x, 24gb ram, - while it can load a previously made file, the program is now crashing a)whenever I try to export multiple images and b)whenever I try to create a brand new map.
    Which version are you using as reported by Help>>About??

I had the original 3.00 (I presume) release, as I downloaded it day one.

It should have been a stock install, as I didn't change anything. (Terraformer stuff is in a separate folder completely).

I tried repairing the 3.09 update in admin mode, but found no difference.

I'll try a complete reinstall sometime.

I did install to the default location (in program files (x86)/profantasy/ft3) in case that is an issue. (I still encounter the rare program that has trouble working in that locked down vista/7 zone of permissions.

When creating a new map, it gets to the summary page. When I choose to continue, I just get a generic, "Fractal Terrains 3 Application has stopped working" windows error box.

FT is unfortunately one of that dying breed of programs that likes to write to its installation directory (a big no-no, as it turns out). I recommend installing it in a location other than Program Files and see if that makes a difference.

I'll give that a shot when I reinstall. Thanks!

I eagerly away the day that all apps are installed as 'portable' and totally self contained (no registry needed, folder can be anywhere, etc).

I tried to edit above, but the loading wheel just kept moving.

I've just uninstalled the update (3.09) and the original install and noticed that the original install was 3.02, not 3.00 as I posted previously.

EDIT: And now I've tried various combos of reinstalling, all meeting the same error - even when I just reinstall the original file I downloaded - the 3.02 version. Are there some registry entries you can point me to to manually remove? Are there any cfg files left outside the install folder (which appears to have been nicely removed when uninstalling each time)? Any suggestions are appreciated.

EDIT 2: I deleted two FT3 related entries in the registry that I found searching for profantasy. I'd noticed, as well, that despite being fresh installs, each time I ran FT3 it would automatically reopen the last file I had used. Deleting these two registry entries seems to have broken that cycle, and, for the first time since fiddling with 3.09, it created a new random world on opening. I was then able to reload/refresh at will. Loading the old map (saved and loaded several times from within 3.02) recreates the same problem (crashing on making a new map/exporting images, etc). I tried the only other file I had from 3.02 (made in it and saved out of it, with modifications) which created the same issue. I'm attaching that file (zipped) in case it's ever needed for followup. The quick results of an multi-part image export are looking good, and once that's done, I'll try saving/reloading to see if that's working - and it seems to. t10a.zip
    Last edited by guyanonymous; 10-31-2011 at 05:18 PM.

The registry entries for FT are HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Slayton Software\FT300. The Wilbur entries are HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Slayton Software\Wilbur (just for completeness). One of these years I need to get the stuff out of the registry and make the rest of the program aware of user profiles. It's mostly there, but there are some compile-time switches that need to get thrown.