Thread: First City Map (untitled)

Wip First City Map (untitled)

1. Planning

I wanted to plan everything out before actually making the map to give me a better idea of how its going to look and where to place things.

The city is a major religious center, which also makes it a major trade center. It also means a large portion of the city will be devoted to the temple district.

There will be a gate close to the temple district. The merchant district would be right next to the temple so they would use the same gate. However due to the huge amount of traffic there are two ways to enter, one for merchants, one for everyone else. Merchant goods are taxed upon entering the city.

There are two market areas. One immediately after the main gate, and one on the other side of town. The first holds more expensive, exotic, and interesting wares. The other carries more mundane things for everyday life that people need. It rests between the middle and lower class districts.

The upper class district borders the upper market and temple districts.

Outside the walls are mostly farms.

Population: about 120,000

------------------------

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.

And I'm probably putting to much detail into them all things considered...but its fun

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Building Outlines.png 
Views:	500 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	39565
    Last edited by shadow_white; 11-06-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: update

If you're going to build a bunch of building symbols, why don't you do some gable roofs as well as the hip roofs? Hip roofs are what folks autogenerate en masse by applying a bevel -- if you're going to the effort, then you can stand out from the crowd. Gable roofs make more sense to jam together gable-end-to-gable-end; doing that with hip roofs gives all sorts of nasty drainage and gutter issues for your myriad builders.

Whether you're overdetailing them is totally dependent on the scale you intend to use. And if you later reduce them to the point where some details blur, you'd be better off having used simpler shapes in the first place - simplification by blurring just leaves a muddy, indistinct result.

Are you planning on shading the results, once you have them placed?

yeah I'm going to shade it and make it look as realistic as I can manage. And the gable roofs are a great idea. Looking up more roof designs and stuff now too ^^

Those are looking good to me. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

I like the detail...I think each building will have some character instead of feeling mass produced.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Thank you both for your replies. And I did take the suggestion on the roofs. A simple change but adds much more variety. Here's more buildings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buildings 2.png 
Views:	1327 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	39581  

Looking good. Check out these for more inspiration.

Oh perfect! That is excellent. Thank you so much ^^

Updated the first post with the city plans.