Thread: Forest Region Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Forest Region Map

Hi all,

So I have to start off this thread with a brief explanation. I'd started a thread about this map in the wrong place and just now remembered that there's a section specifically for WIPs further down the main page... So! I decided to actually continue by putting it in the right place.

As it stands, this would be my 4th update to the map since I started posting, the previous versions are still attached to the posts in the original thread, back in the General section, if y'all would like to check them out before the thread is rightfully deleted. /facepalm.

Anyhoo...

In a condensed version of what I'd originally posted, some of you might recall I was working on large world map for a game project I'm involved with. I was having trouble with coming up with a look/style I like as well as getting a sense of scale and proportion. Well nothing's changed... it's still giving me trouble lol. I think my problem is that when I get over a certain size, scale and proportion become somewhat abstract to me and I'm not sure if I'm making things too large, too small, etc. Something I need to work on. I'm settled on the look I want now, which is something else that was giving me trouble before; so now it's all about execution.

So, instead of becoming despondent and wallowing my life away in pity over my large-scale cartographic ineptitude, I decided I would instead work on some smaller scale stuff, specifically area maps for the zones that will eventually make up the larger map.

I decided to go with a more "iconic" approach with some detail but not as much as I might have otherwise tried to use. The reason being

A) I want to keep the map as clean as possible, with solid clear lines
    B) The map will become a basis for a heightmap which will be used to bring the area(s) into a real-time 3D setting
    C) I'm not that skilled with GIMP yet and don't want to overwhelm myself.

In order to maintain a clean look, I'll be adding labels and names to the map in Inkscape. I'm not a fan of GIMP's text tool.

The map is of a temperate coastal woodland region of about 2.5 sq. miles, give or take and includes a number of different features which will become points-of-interest, focal-points for the game's setting, etc. This zone will be one of the starting areas for one of the game's races.

All that's left for this now is to get some icons of trees drawn to spread around to make it look "foresty" and to get everything labeled. There's also some icons for ruins that need to be drawn, as well as a few miscellaneous items to indicate certain points-of-interest.

All told I've put about... 10 hours into this, spread out across the past week. It started with a hand-drawn map which I scanned in and 'digitized' to what you see here.

Feedback, comments, suggestions or questions about the map are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SarMapWIP.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	39585
    Last edited by Preypacer; 10-30-2011 at 06:29 PM.