Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monthly Challenge voting process discussion

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Thanx GP, every now and again I'll have an idea that's actually feasible. I like to look at it like flinging mud against a wall, sooner or later some of it will stick...

It's much appreciated.

I was also thinking about the problem of so many entrants.

Is there a way to do two rounds of voting? Perhaps one round to whittle down the number to the top five entrants, and THEN a second vote once those five are decided only amongst those top five?

Or is there a way to allow people to vote more than once? I.e., you get three votes to spread among the entrants as you like, but you can't vote for the same entrant more than once? (Maybe if the software doesn't specifically allow this, merely run three concurrent votes, and then add up the totals from all three?)

Just some thoughts...

I think the 2 vote round sound good.

But then the problem is that we are supposed to have about 300 active members. If we drop around 100-150 persons that cannot vote during that week for some reason (out of town, sick, computer crashed, lazy, ...), then drop 50 more that don't like this month subject challenge, we should still get around 100-150 votes, not 25-30.
    That is the major problem we got here.
    The fact that we got lurkers is cool, because not everyone are good at drawing or want to post map. Many just prefer to look and take map from other for themselves, but that is not bad as long as they don't take credit for others work.
    But at least, they should vote to encourage peoples to participate and give them more stuff to "borrow".

Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Hey there some admin,

You should think to split this post in 2:

1- Delgo challenge,
    2- Voting criticism.

Cause, soon Del is sure to give us some complain about using is post for our little debate.

Just my 2 cents,
    Alu.
    Let my fangs find your neck, during the night, so that I can drink your knowledge ...

So it could be use here : www.l-hazard.com

Where are we getting this 300 active members number? The number of people who have posted since the start of the year is only 155, and if you filter that by people with 5 or more posts, it goes down to 101. And I'm not sure that 5 posts really qualifies as "active."
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

at the bottom of the main forums page where it says "What's Going on?" ... it lists amount of posts, threads.. etc... it also has current active members

Quote Originally Posted by alucard339 View Post
    Hey there some admin, You should think to split this post ...Cause, soon Del is sure to give us some complain about using is post for our little debate.
    Good thinking, Alu. So it is written, so it shall be (i.e., was) done!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem with most of these great suggestions is that they pretty much all require programming to the core systems of the site. I'm not a php programmer, but I can do some minor modification...Anything more advanced than that such as a change to the way voting works as a whole would require a bit more.

I was planning on sending out another mass-mailing when voting began mainly because the number of entries requires more votes.

I'll look around the vBulletin site for voting mods and see if there are any worth installing, but I'm VERY picky about installing 3rd party mods because it makes the patch process a nightmare and sometimes they can affect security and other things.

I am planning on stepping up the newsletter process though...I think that would help encourage participation. I've got a bunch of plans right now that I' dlike to deal with but I'm suffering from a sinus infection and freakin pneumonia I'm goin to get some sleep.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Didn't see any mods that do any voting things....I'll see if I can modify the template to have a big VOTE NOW link on every page when the time comes.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12