Thread: Posting a rights reserved image

Question Posting a rights reserved image

I finished a commission I would like to share with the community and am curious if it is enough to just say "Rights reserved" or if I need to do more than that? Such as a watermark or something?

I do have permission to use for self promotion such as in my portfolio and so on, but this is the first time around for me and I want to do it right.

Thanks
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Whatever was agreed upon. If your agreement didn't specify any details of how you could use it for self promotion, you ought to be fine without a watermark. If it was a work for hire and they hold the copyright, you should be sure to specify this in the copyright notice.

Of course, IANAL.

I asked if there was anything they wanted me to do for posting it, such as removal or change of labels, etc. They said not to worry just post it "rights reserved".
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

I'd burn the "rights reserved" mark and copyright info into the image itself, so if it escapes into the wild that will follow it around.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I'd burn the "rights reserved" mark and copyright info into the image itself, so if it escapes into the wild that will follow it around.
    Do you mean like in the corner or do you mean blazing across the entire thing?

Nevermind, I posted in the finished maps forum I think we are good.

I meant in the corner. Doesn't have to be huge, just enough so that if it gets picked up by a collector who then forgets where it came from (I've got hundreds of images with uncertain origins, myself), the terms are spelled out right there. No documentation required.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name