Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big about Guild maps

Thanks Neon. Do you have a copy of the colour map section without the grid?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

It may be an idea to generate the heightmap at something like 4096 pixels wide and post it as a zip so people have a lot resolution to play with (particularly if the map is going to be carved up into smaller areas). I'll do the isos tonight with a bit of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Sounds like a great story hans_worst. Who is it by? I agree with you regarding the different climatic regions that the portion of the map represents. Maybe the two kingdoms are divided by a big river and the pestilence was river borne. Just thinking aloud here.

Torq
    It's from Kim Stanley Robinson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Years_of_Rice_and_Salt

Before everyone goes crazy in drawing up maps. What is the mapping style so that the world map has a constant style through out all the higher resolution maps, like the way HandsomRob has done for Sorol.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It may be an idea to generate the heightmap at something like 4096 pixels wide and post it as a zip so people have a lot resolution to play with (particularly if the map is going to be carved up into smaller areas). I'll do the isos tonight with a bit of luck!
    Here you go, though I am not sure if I got the dimensions proper You seem to know a bit more about FT then I. You wanna do it, make sure I did it right?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne View Post
    Before everyone goes crazy in drawing up maps. What is the mapping style so that the world map has a constant style through out all the higher resolution maps, like the way HandsomRob has done for Sorol.
    If I am not mistaken, this is a project whereby you, intrepid mapper can aid in the designing of a Fantasy World, utilising whatever mapping style you like.

As was suggested earlier in this thread, because all of us here have different mapping styles, we are not going to stick to any one style, but let mappers use their own unique styles. If you wanted to 'invent' a fictional persona (Like the Forgotten Realms Marco Volo for example) to be the mapper, feel free.

We are setting up a main world so there will be a cohesion between the various maps, but not necessarily the style.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for the maps Neon, I'll have something up a bit later so that folks can start picking areas.

DarkOne, I second what Neon said about style. We are looking for continuos regions but want style to be up to the mapper. This way we are still forwarding the aims of this site and allowing as much freedom as possible for people to devleop their own techniques and styles.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Thanx for making it very clear now what the intention of this project is. I and some others appreciate it.

This stuff looks yummy in Bryce. Too bad you can't apply displacement to spheres. That would look so badass. Maybe in Blender. Could do it in terragen 2 if I had the patience of a saint. Have to exaggerate the relief to see it from a full-sphere view, though.

I was wondering how to 'terraform' a sphere in this way, but I couldn't work out how to do it apart from using a bumpmap on a sphere which doesn't really stand up to close inspection.

One thing for sure though and that is that the FT/Bryce mix makes really good mountain.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast