Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Milestones

Post Milestones

Just to make sure that everyone knows, we've hit a major milestone in the CWBP, in that everyone one of the original 30 tiles of Ansium have been mapped. I haven't bothered counting the smaller regional and town and city maps, but they are easily numbering in the double digits. I know of at least one Dungeons and Dragons game taking place in Ansium (and am proud to say that I'm the one running it on EN World for everyone to see).

All in all, I'd say that, as of this point, the CWBP has been a success since its incarnation so many months ago. Thanks Torq for such a wonderful idea!

Unfortunately, Torq has been inactive here for some months, and there have been countless new member to the Cartographers' Guild with immeasurable talent and insight who I can't help but think would have wanted to get in on the ground floor ofthis project. IMHO, this is a perfect time to build new interest and breathe some fresh life into the CWBP with these new members, if we can get a community leader to take over and offer a bit of direction.

Of course this is all just my two cents, but I thought it was something worth announcing.

-IG

The world certainly seems to have plenty of unmapped space left. Couldn't you just pick another set of tiles (perhaps directly to the east of the currently mapped zone, stretching all the way to those little islands off the coast) and have a new landgrab?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    The world certainly seems to have plenty of unmapped space left. Couldn't you just pick another set of tiles (perhaps directly to the east of the currently mapped zone, stretching all the way to those little islands off the coast) and have a new landgrab?
    We certainly could, but it'll be up to someone with more stroke than me to make that decision.

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Bear with us IG....I'll raise this as a separate topic on the CL discussion board.
    Thank you.

-IG

This isn't related to the management of the project, but...I'm a new member here and have looked through this forum a few times without coming away with any really solid concept for how to pitch in and help with the project. I've taken a look through the sticky threads but have been a bit overwhelmed by the huge amount of information presented there.

A "starting point" FAQ would, IMO, be immensely helpful for wrangling new folks into putting some blood and sweat into building this world. Hopefully I haven't missed some glaringly obvious how-to guide that already exists. I'd be more than happy to get involved...as it seems I'll have some more time coming into the new year.
    M

It's all under discussion so NOTHING IS SET IN STONE, but we may start again or amend the project and what you have just said is very helpful in helping us choose what we should do with it. The CWBP is a great concept but we can learn from the first experience. Hang in there and watch this space!

I am new here and love to see the works on these boards and wanted to help ever since I saw this project. I just didn't want to say anything until I got may tablet next month. But if this project is going to continue I would love to help. Just let me know what to do and I'll start with what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It's all under discussion so NOTHING IS SET IN STONE, but we may start again or amend the project and what you have just said is very helpful in helping us choose what we should do with it. The CWBP is a great concept but we can learn from the first experience. Hang in there and watch this space!
    I agree that a "how to" FAQ would be immensely helpful.

Waiting patiently...

Quote Originally Posted by forgedchaos View Post
    I am new here and love to see the works on these boards and wanted to help ever since I saw this project. I just didn't want to say anything until I got may tablet next month. But if this project is going to continue I would love to help. Just let me know what to do and I'll start with what I have.
    As it stands now, there are no more regional areas available for mapping. However, you are more than welcome to map a city or town in any of the completed regional areas. You can also create and map a particular structure in any city or town.

Redrobes keeps a compiled list list of the towns that have already been mapped throughout the project. If the town you want to map isn't on that list, then it's free for the taking. If it is on the list, check to see if it hasn't been abandoned (and more than a few have been); if it has you're probably safe to take it over.

Hope that helps!

-IG

Blog Entries

Yeah, the wiki has a list with more detail but I maintain, or rather a script rips out, a list of places we have mapped. All the top level tiles have been done for the Ansium area but theres loads of regional, and city maps below that and almost all of the cities have not been done - only a tiny fraction of them have. Some areas have had more love than others and some have the tile terrain done and nothing at all in them.

All the CWBP - everything in it - is CC licensed so that means:

a) You can take a copy for free. You dont need to ask any kind of permission to use it so long as you respect the CC license.
    b) You can modify and repost an original or your modified map...

So long as:

a) You attribute the list of originators / contributors to it.
    b) You don't make money off of it.
    c) Any map you make that makes use of CWBP material to form part of it must also be shared with the same license. That guarantees that all of it stays free for everyone.

Its a world where *you* can add create and modify or choose to ignore bits of.

Personally I think it would be better to have some of the existing bits detailed further but I think that most people would like to map out new bits of the world.

We have one group playing in this world in Port Magalie with a yellow star on my overview map of Ansium but it would be cool if there were more people in different groups so that they flushed out other areas a bit more.

Click on map for big version...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-30-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast