Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Six Griffons Lodge

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected anstett's Avatar

And purchased, I will figure out a way to explain why that grid is there *wry grin*

Have to support good art.

BOB
    We do not stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.

www.dragonslayers-society.org

Glad you did, I hope you enjoy it

awesome looking map. How did you do the texture to the floor on the first level? that looks great!

Thanks Green-Pilgrim!

The first floor texture (and second) it just a flat brown color base (differen colors of course on the wood and the dirt) with shading and highlighting using the exposure tool of Photoshop. I added a bit texture with a noisy brush and using the same burn and expose tools. The wood planks is only a couple hand-dran tiles and a lot of repetition with a little single tile modifications so that it doesn't look too repetitive. Seriously all the grid and textures is simple hand made shading and highlighting

Amazing map! I don't know know to play those rpg games but I would totally try it out with an amazing map like this attached!
    ~May

Flawless graphics.
    Some thoughts on the design though ...

The dining table sits 16, but there is only 1 guest room and no servant rooms. The term Lodge suggests a remote rural location.

Since wood typically cannot span more than 20-30 feet, the wall between the dining and kitchen should be load bearing and would probably be better as stone.

I absolutely loved the Washroom ... congratulations on avoiding a fantasy realm with eternal constipation.

Exterior walls are valuable for window space, so corridors are usually centrally located with rooms to the exterior. Moving the stair closer to the entrance would allow a shorter centralized hallway upstairs with the music room placed along an exterior wall.

Excellent map, Well done! It is always cool seeing one of your maps get published in an adventure module. (even better if you got paid for it!)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

nice map Hugo, love the colors and all the little details.

@atpollard - interesting with the wood span - I'll try to remember that for my own maps (although there is the occasional giant magic red wood that can span hundreds of feet of course
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

A quick and dirty rule of thumb for spans is the 1 to 20 rule ... each 20 feet of span requires 1 foot of thickness.
    So a 6 inch thick floor (0.5 ft) could span 10 feet.
    An 18 inch thick floor (1.5 ft) could span 30 feet.
    A 5 foot tall roof/floor truss (or your giant redwood beam) could span 100 feet.

Real good real architecture tips here!

Regarding the HUGE table, I agree that is quite big. Not my design, I was asked to do it like that I did took four chairs off the table to make it look less crowded. You could always think of the lodge as a "club-house", not some sort of Inn.

Same thing for corridors, that's a design from the client, thou I must say that sometimes (most of the times actually) proper architecture does not work well with standard dungeon crawling, I remember this one super-nicely/properly built temple complex which had a nice big and wide corridor that went straight into the main temple and the players going straight in skipping all the secondary, ou of the way chambers... So, winding corridors and senseless architecture are lots of fun for players but a nightmare for cartographers...

Thanks for the tips and points!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast