Thread: Which Photoshop to buy?

Question Which Photoshop to buy?

Sorry if there is a thread on this alrdy but I've been thinking about buying Photoshop and was wondering which one to get. The website has Photoshop CS5 or Photoshop Elements 10 with a huge price difference on each one. I'm looking for feedback on what exactly the difference is between them.(Do they have the same features, Which do you use, Does it matter etc) Thanks in advance

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

IIRC Elements is a 'stripped down' version (Photoshop Lite if you will), if you can afford the real version then I'd go with that.

If money is a concern then you may want to look at the GIMP. It's free, has great support and many of the members here use it as well..
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Rascal, if you are not a serious artist already or plan to be, I would suggest the following.

1. Start with some free software first
      • Gimp is my choice
      • Paint.Net has most of the features.
      • Neither of the above have all of the features of PS(Gimp being closer), but as they are free I would still suggest either as a first choice to try before you buy. Also note that at least GIMP has some things that PS DOES NOT, out of the box(such as full color brushes and must better render clouds(but.. there is also a free clouds plugin for GIMP that is 100 times better than the GIMP built in one....)

2. A tablet IMHO would be a far wiser first purchase(or add on if you have the money for both)
    3. Stay away from Elements totally... it's lack of layer support is way to limiting IMO
    4. If you or any of your immediate family is a Student, you can qualify for the Student Discount and get the Full PS for about 70% less
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks to u both for the info! I am a student and didn't know about the discount so hopefully I can get a good deal. I'll tinker around with GIMP until I get some money